New PC build....HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilt

Solid State Member
I have a two week old PC that has been running great until today. First, the power supply (500W Earthwatts that comes with Sonata 3) went from being nice and quiet to roaring like a jet engine. It's maxed out, trying to do some serious cooling. I ignored it, and did what I planned to do today; install a PCI card with a parallel port (I forgot the printer was from the last Millenium, and the motherboard didn't have a parallel port). It set up just fine, and the printer worked great, when I noticed the LAN port was dead. I tried reinstalling drivers, but it's totally dead. Windows Device manager doesn't even show there is one. Then, I removed the case cover, and noticed a bright red LED on the motherboard (Asus P5K) indicating the PCI device is not properly installed. So I tried another slot. Same deal. I tossed the card back into it's box, and re-booted. The LAN is gone, and the power supply sounds like it'll blow up. I have no clue what to do at this point. Can anyone offer advice to this wannabe computer builder? It looks like a fried power supply and motherboard, but I'm not positive.

Thanks

If you have an extra PSU, or have a friend that wont mind lending you his for a few hours, plug it in to see if the old one was bad and not supplying enough power. This sort of thing can kill components. Throw your PCI card back in for poops n giggles to see if it will come online. Other wise if the new PSU has an internal fan speed controller wait for it to start up with itself again, if it doesn't its the old PSU, if it does its the MOBO.
Also be sure that the correct input voltage is selected on the back of the PSU.

Thanks for the responses!

Joey1: No, I don't have the system overclocked.

turtile: Here are the system specs:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Motherboard: Asus P5K
Memory: 2GB Corsair XMS2 PC2 5400, dual channel
Case: Antec Sonata 3
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 320GB, Sata2, 3gb/sec, 16mb cache
Video Card: Asus Geforce 7600GS
Sound: Soundblaster XFI
Operating System: XP pro

Quazibee: With further tinkering, I found that if I grabbed the cables coming out of the power supply and wiggled them, the fan would stop. Then Start. Then stop...and so did the hard drive. So I'll be RMA'ing the p.o.s. Hopefully the next one is better. As for the PCI card with parallel printer port, the company's website said it won't work with 3.3v PCI. How can I tell if the PCI slot is 3.3 volts? As for the LAN, I disconnected the USB add on, and the Lan came back to life. Go figure...maybe I had it hooked up wrong. I'll see what I can do with it today. I do have an extra power supply, but it'll be a pain to remove from the system it's in just for testing, especially since I need a new p/s, anyway. Arrgh, this is frustrating.

I'm surprised that the PSU would have connections that bad. They must not have very good quality control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom