help choosing a MB for Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjheero_yuy99

In Runtime
The real problem is this, I've never been really good at choosing mother board. I never really know what to look for, and how to differentiate them apart, other then reading the reviews that are placed in forums and getting the one with the highest review rating. However, now a days I believe that most of the people who post relate their review to features that I don't really use and it is becoming difficult for me. I really don't want to just grab and guess so I thought I'd post a thread and see what happens.

So now onto the question, I am wondering what you would recommend for a mother board that would support an C2D E6600, using the LGA 775 socket. If that is too specific, your recommendations on what to look for in a motherboard would also be appreciated.

I do not overclock anything, so I just need a board that is stable, will hold at least 2GB ram, (I really don't see myself putting more then 4GBs in), and will support PCI express x16, as I am eyeing a 8600 to upgrade from my 6800
I am planning to upgrade a system, and will be keeping 2 roms, 1 floppy, case, power supply, (430W), 2 hard drives, and 2 case fans.

(Note: I might plan to drop a higher E series on the board as the prices come down.
Also, note, that normally I am a AMD guy, and have never used intel before, (except in laptops), but decided to try the other side, since the reviews for the E6600 were beating the AMDs out)

As for a price range, I'd prefer nothing over $200, however, I might be able to find a little more to drop into. it, (already have $300 on the cpu and cpu fan, so its already beginning to be an expensive upgrade, and I still have the memory and graphics card to add....) But I do realize that a high-end processor should be matched with a high-end motherboard.

Thanks for reading!

Why would you not overclock a Core 2 Duo? Overclocking is COMPLETLEY safe really as long as you make sure your temps never go over like 70.

Your E6600 which is stock 2.4ghz is being beat by thousands of other members who payed 60bucks for their x2 3600 and overclocked it to speeds beyond that of a stock E6600. Your value will be increased GREATLY. My E6300 which costs half of your E6600 initally is @ 3.6ghz and safe....it's more powerful in games than the QX6800 right now....but if you still don't want to overclock then oh well it's kind of waste to not overclock an E6600.

EITHER WAY if you want future upgradability then this is a board for you, as well as once you realize that your being beat by chips that cost 1/5th of yours you can overclock it. I own this board, it supports the new Penryn as well as Quad-Core.

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Why would you not overclock a Core 2 Duo? Overclocking is COMPLETLEY safe really as long as you make sure your temps never go over like 70.

Your E6600 which is stock 2.4ghz is being beat by thousands of other members who payed 60bucks for their x2 3600 and overclocked it to speeds beyond that of a stock E6600. Your value will be increased GREATLY. My E6300 which costs half of your E6600 initally is @ 3.6ghz and safe....it's more powerful in games than the QX6800 right now....but if you still don't want to overclock then oh well it's kind of waste to not overclock an E6600.

EITHER WAY if you want future upgradability then this is a board for you, as well as once you realize that your being beat by chips that cost 1/5th of yours you can overclock it. I own this board, it supports the new Penryn as well as Quad-Core.

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

sora once again... you've convinced a person to overclock... but he's totally right

I guess I never wanted to risk the blowing up of my computer. I knew back in the days it wasn't that safe, is it now safer to do? and if so, how exactly should I go about it? maybe I can test on my current computer and see how things work, then work on overclocking my upgrade machine.

Current CPU is Athlon 64 3400+ (factory build).

Thanks for all your help, I will look into the boards specified, and consider the idea of overclocking some more. (Is there any special programs/tools I need? links to good site tutorials would be useful. I will also look around myself some, but its better to get help from experts)

edit -- is there a good program to use to keep an eye on temps while the computer is under load? (so that I'm not just watching from inside bios screen?)

I guess I never wanted to risk the blowing up of my computer. I knew back in the days it wasn't that safe, is it now safer to do? and if so, how exactly should I go about it? maybe I can test on my current computer and see how things work, then work on overclocking my upgrade machine.

Thanks for all your help, I will look into the boards specified, and consider the idea of overclocking some more. (Is there any special programs/tools I need? links to good site tutorials would be useful. I will also look around myself some, but its better to get help from experts)

edit -- is there a good program to use to keep an eye on temps while the computer is under load? (so that I'm not just watching from inside bios screen?)

This is not the 90's anymore where people blew up Pentium 3's on a regular basis. To THIS DAY i still have not heard of anyone killing a Core 2 Duo or an Athlon X2 even....no there are no tools or programs you need to overclock as it is all done through the BIOS on the board. There are programs that monitor your temperatures though and a program such as "orthos" to test the stability of your overclock.

its safe to even overclock ur old 3400+ so don't worry about it, no fears, no worries

ok, I will mess around with overclocking some and see what I can find out, Thank you for your continued support,

Would it be possible to get the names of the program(s) that you use to monitor temperatures? It sounds like you must use at least one with all the overclocking you do.

Core Temp or TAT are the most accurate. However Speedfan, and everest are very close and a lot of people use them.

Thanks,

Hey quick question, I booted up Core Temp and it says that I am idling at ~52c and when under load, (i.e. playing GRAW), I hit highs of 74c. Since you said that anything over 70 was bad, I am just wondering about this, since I haven't event overclocked it or anything.

These are the specs it gives me for the CPU:
CPUID: 0xFC0
APICID: 0
Revision: DH-CG
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 4300+ (NewCastle)
Frequency: 2411.74Mhz (200.98 x 12)
Platform Socket 754
VID: 1.500v

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom