Good system for under $300?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't buy a small hard drive. Just go for the Seagate Barracuda 250gb that's going for ~$60 now...Seagate is a very nice HD company with a great warranty and your 80 or 160gb hds are going to be almost as much.

Edit: And Cheap Psu = Broken Psu = Broken PC = Something fun for the trash man to haul away

Don't buy a small hard drive. Just go for the Seagate Barracuda 250gb that's going for ~$60 now...Seagate is a very nice HD company with a great warranty and your 80 or 160gb hds are going to be almost as much.

Edit: And Cheap Psu = Broken Psu = Broken PC = Something fun for the trash man to haul away

very true, and logisys has horrible PSU's had one on my old Athlon XP system, and it went bad and damaged the entire system........

ok take all your words on the PSU's :)

as for the hard drive. its not necessary for a 160gb. this dell has a 40gb and even with my sisters music they havent used even 10gb of it.

If I was the one doing this, I would take the 2 year old Dell, and take out the Celeron, and put a Pentium in it, and add RAM.

If they are using it for such mundane tasks, it would probably be fine even with the Celeron. What is it SPECIFICALLY about the computer that makes it a POS?? My guess would be that it takes a while to boot up, and takes forever for things to load... I would say probably due to such a low amount of RAM, and spyware/malware if there is a kid using it.

yeah it takes for ever to load everything. the start menu even takes a good 10 seconds to load.

i was thinking i could take the HD out of this one, and the CD burner and use the extra money on a video card, better case, or more memory.

Have you run virus scan, and malware/spyware scans? If nothing else, what I would do, is backup the important data, and format the HDD and re-install the OS.

u said u that 256mb ram on XP? that might cause things to be a bit laggy... if u have xp i recommend atleast 512mb, for it to even be usable..... gamer's need like 1gb atleast, lol i only have 768mb :) xD haha

I second the post a couple above.

Put in a pentium 4 chip, add 1gb of relatively fast ram, reformat the machine...

It will run soooooooo much faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom