system build question

Status
Not open for further replies.
okay, if you want it to last get the 5000 brisbane and the 590 sli mobo. the am2 socket will be upgradeable for the next few years, apparently.
neither one of those components is in any way dated.
the 5000 is the best brisbane (this is important, as brisbanes generate less heat and overclock better) availible at new egg.
ok, the overclocking question:
is it easy? sometimes it is. if you have knowledgeable folks like us here at TF, it is pretty easy man. your results may vary from ours a little, or you may best all of us!
as far as overclocking an amd, i can pretty much help you solve any problem (i hope haha) you may encounter. there are many other users as well that are very proficient with overclocking. so, yes...YOU CAN DO IT..lol!
oh, shortening the life...
not really man. by the time that happens you will have a new computer, i promise. probably implanted in your skull.
there is no risk that i know of besides OVERVOLTAGE and HEAT (and having to re-set cmos a few times lol just a pain in the arse). which really go hand in hand.

Ok, some follow up quesitons...forgive the newbiness but i'm starting to be swayed towards building the system myself and trying the overclocking...lol

K, so if i get this right the 5000+ overclocked is the most economical choice? The one problem I'm having, finding the brisbane here...tigerdirect doesn't have the 5000+ brisbane and neighter does ncix.com. And I havn't yet persuaded newegg.com to ship to Cananda :p

So to recap, lets see if i got this, the 5600+ windsor is faster than the 5000+ brisbane stock. but because of the brisbanes ability to run significantly cooler it can be overclocked to be faster? so if I was willing to put a little elbow grease in I could get the brisbane to overclock and run at a similar speed as the windsor for $20.00 cheaper?

And the two mobos have no real edge from what i can read up on them...then again i'm no pro...comes down to the cpu i guess.

You intel folks what's the reason for the extra $70 bucks or so on the MSI P6N SLI and E6420? what's the difference by going with that combo? if any? Is there an intel option at a similar price range to the EVGA 590 and brisbane 5000+?

thanks for the help guys, starting to answer some of these questions floating around in my head.

Ok, some follow up quesitons...forgive the newbiness but i'm starting to be swayed towards building the system myself and trying the overclocking...lol

K, so if i get this right the 5000+ overclocked is the most economical choice? The one problem I'm having, finding the brisbane here...tigerdirect doesn't have the 5000+ brisbane and neighter does ncix.com. And I havn't yet persuaded newegg.com to ship to Cananda :p

So to recap, lets see if i got this, the 5600+ windsor is faster than the 5000+ brisbane stock. but because of the brisbanes ability to run significantly cooler it can be overclocked to be faster? so if I was willing to put a little elbow grease in I could get the brisbane to overclock and run at a similar speed as the windsor for $20.00 cheaper?

And the two mobos have no real edge from what i can read up on them...then again i'm no pro...comes down to the cpu i guess.

You intel folks what's the reason for the extra $70 bucks or so on the MSI P6N SLI and E6420? what's the difference by going with that combo? if any? Is there an intel option at a similar price range to the EVGA 590 and brisbane 5000+?

thanks for the help guys, starting to answer some of these questions floating around in my head.

if u get an intel, u get an gigabyte p35-ds3r, its 130$ USD, so i don't no how much that is CAD, NCIX has deals.....

the most economical choice would be the 3600 brisbane and the evga 590 sli mobo.
the 3600 will hit 5600-6000 speeds with only a moderate increase in temperature.
the difference in the mobos is that they have features which help you adjust certain areas that will make your overclock easier/more stable.
im no intel guy, but i can tell you that the 6420 will be faster. 70.00 faster? probably not, seeing as how that is more than the 3600 costs. is it over 100% faster? not at all.
but, an e6320 and ds3 is also an excellent choice, for sure. the only thing is...it costs more, but doesnt produce results proportional to that cost difference.

the most economical choice would be the 3600 brisbane and the evga 590 sli mobo.
the 3600 will hit 5600-6000 speeds with only a moderate increase in temperature.
the difference in the mobos is that they have features which help you adjust certain areas that will make your overclock easier/more stable.
im no intel guy, but i can tell you that the 6420 will be faster. 70.00 faster? probably not, seeing as how that is more than the 3600 costs. is it over 100% faster? not at all.
but, an e6320 and ds3 is also an excellent choice, for sure. the only thing is...it costs more, but doesnt produce results proportional to that cost difference.

excellent post there man..........

I like it....thanks, great help.

quick price checks here in CAN show the e6420 to be more than 2.5 times the price as the 3600+ so, a savings of roughly $170.00 and another $20 on the mobo.

Quick question, you jumbed from the 5000+ brisbane to the 3600+, any reason for that other than the $$$ factor? The 4000+, 4400+ and 4800+ brisbanes are other options I take it? All good for overclocking? just a matter of $$$ budget? didn't check newegg.com but at ncix it's a $40 jump from the 3600+ to the 4000+ so if I'm going to downgrade and overclock the CPU i think i'll go with the 3600+ but just wondering if there was any other reason you skipped those other options.

Now a random question...lets say I decide on the evga 590SLI/3600+ (assume overclocked), I've saved about $200 on that combo but i'm dedicated to spending that original price tag...is there somewhere else that could/should go to make a significant difference or is the best $200 investment/upgrade a CPU upgrade?

So my three options being:
1) save the $200 for upgrades in a year or two
2) sink extra $200 into other upgrades: video, RAM, etc...
3) back to the original CPU, 5600+ or intel combo?

Now, having taken in a lot of learning here in the past 24h I think, for my personal use, that just pocketing the $200 and upgrading later might be a better choice but from your experiences what do you guys suggest?

Any input on the above question?

Also realized I didn't pick out any cooling....suggestions?

[edit]assume overclocking on the 3600+ in the cooler master centurion 5 case[/edit]

yes spend the extra money on the best video card you can afford.
like i said, some of the other brisbanes will have double the cache, but if you are not doing a lot of video editing/compressing this will not be a factor. amd stopped putting the 2mb cache in their cpus for a reason...i cant remember what it is, but it was causing some sort of issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom