GPU Toss Up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaV II DARK II

Gears of War King
Ok... I think iam going to go crazy,its been 3 days and Iam still not sure what I want. Iam going to ask one more time for your opinions.

Should i get the 8800 GTS 640mb or 8800 GTX?

Iam going to be playing at 1280x1024 on a dell 17" until I buy a new monitor.
I will probably upgrade to 9 series once they become available at the $500 price point, like the 8800 GTX.

no offense dude cause i know your new to all this and your really excited about your rig but there is no need to make 10 different threads on it lol

EDIT: and i wish your friend would get online already lol

Just get an 8800GTS 320mb. You won't notice a difference between that and the 640mb version until you get higher than 1600x1200 resolution.

You'll end up saving money for an even better 9-series card.

Don't get the GTX, if you're planning on the 9 series later. Just get the 8800GTS 320MB, like AnthraX mentioned, and save up for the nice monitor and 9 series.

Yeah the 8800GTS 320mb should work fine for the monitor you using. Why go spending excess when you're only going to upgrade it in a few months anyway... besides the fact that a GTX on such a small monitor is way overkill.

Actually the 8 series stock cooler, does pretty good. It just depends on how much you've overclocked it, and the airflow in your case. They do put out a lot of heat though. Before you go and get an aftermarket solution, just monitor the temperatures first. Good temps are like 40-55C idle, and 70-80 load. High 80s is acceptable. If it's a little higher, than just add a side intake fan, to cool it further. You could also put some AS5 on the 8 series, with the stock cooler, and temperatures should go down some. And if that doesn't work, then you go to an aftermarket cooler, like the Thermalright HR-03 Plus.

Actually the 8 series stock cooler, does pretty good. It just depends on how much you've overclocked it, and the airflow in your case. They do put out a lot of heat though. Before you go and get an aftermarket solution, just monitor the temperatures first. Good temps are like 40-55C idle, and 70-80 load. High 80s is acceptable. If it's a little higher, than just add a side intake fan, to cool it further. You could also put some AS5 on the 8 series, with the stock cooler, and temperatures should go down some. And if that doesn't work, then you go to an aftermarket cooler, like the Thermalright HR-03 Plus.

Thats what I dont want to do... Having to buy anything extra for the card. I want to buy the card and make sure it will work w/o investing money b/c if not, might as well buy the gtx if iam going to be speding a whole bunch of money so I can keep a 8800 GTS 320 cool...

I don't think you should be worried though. The stock cooler on the 8 series, with a side intake fan, would do just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom