Another Hard drive question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraph

In Runtime
Ok, I got screws and stuff and put it in. I plugged everything up and all. Booted computer up and it detected new hardware. I click on the thing and nothing happens.

I continue on into control panel and click add new hardware. It doesnt find anything new, so it gives me a list. The hard drive is on the list, so I click it. It says the device is working properly.....

Now, I go into My Computer and there is C drive. It is still the same amount as my old one (I just added a second hard drive, not replace old one). Whats goin on?

well your hard drive would not automatically be a part of your c drive...it is a seperate drive completely. Take out your hard drive and look on the back for the 5x2 pin set-up with the jumper on it. Make sure you have it set to Slave, and do the same with your other hard drive and make sure it is set to Master w/ Slave Present. Once you have it all connected again boot up into the bios and make sure it has detected both your hard drive as master and slave. Then when you boot up into windows there should be another drive next to your c drive. Make sure you format it before you use it.

Ummmm... How do I tell where to set it to slave? Are we talkin plug the drive cable in differently?

Sorry, I am sorta a computer noob..... I am tryin to learn though....wanna end up as a game programmer. I have a loooong way to go.

Beside your IDE cable (wide cable that plugs into the MOBO)and power connector , when looking at the back of the drive. See that connector with a little jumper. This is usually set to MAster. Take the jumper and set it to SLave (only if both HDD are connected on the same IDE cable/channel.
There should be a label above your connector which tells you how to set the jumper for different configuration.
Your manual should help you too or the manufaturer's site or if you post some specs, we might be able to help you more.

if u havent formatted it already ul need to go to

control panel
admin tools
computer management
disk managemen (on the left)
then right click the new drive and format.

the time itll take depends on the size, the amount of cache and the rpm.

u can pull out all of the jumpers on all of your devices and set it up manualy in the bios. a bit easier IMO.

this is what you do with jumpers, and where they are
useries6family.gif

the positions of master, slave etc may be different on your drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom