Buying laptop need some help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keving01400

Solid State Member
Hey

Going away to college and was looking for an affordable yet fast laptop good for gaming and other stuff. I came across the Inspiron. Please let me know if these are good laptops. Also whats difference between XPS and the Inspiron?

For alittle under $1500 I can get:

-Inspiron 1520-
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7500 (2.2GHz/800Mhz FSB/4MB cache)
256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 8600M GT
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
160GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
CD writer / DVD player

Another question, what would you guys recommend as to the type of screen I should get. The Anti-glare, widescreen(1280x800) or the High Resolution, glossy widescreen (1680x1050)?

Thanks for any help
Kevin

the xps are more for gaming and look a little better cosmetically.

that is a really nice laptop for the price. honestly i don't think you'd see the difference between the t7500 and the t7300, if you wanted to save a couple of bucks. but thats just me.

on the screen i would go for the 1680x1050 but i personally don't like the glossy screen, the regular is what i would go for. the glossy looks like the screen is plastic. the high res from my understanding is the same type as a regular lcd monitor for a desktop.

Thank you thirdleft for the help. Would you think that that system that I put up in my original post would hold up to the games that are currently out?

Also I know that you said that I wouldn't notice that much of a difference between the T7500 and the T7300 but would you recommend me getting it for the long run, this laptop would have to last 4-5 years (keeping price in mind: T7300 would be $175 while the T7500 would be $275)? With the price I'm considering just sticking to the T7300...

If this is the Laptop I'm getting, I have decided on the Anti-glare (1280x800).

Lastly should i stick with the "stock" High Definition Audio 2.0 or upgrade to the Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™HD Software Edition ($25)?

Thanks again
Kevin

Honestly .2ghz isn't very much, and for a $100 extra i don't really see the justification. That laptop would be able to handle stuff pretty well, if im not mistaken the 8600m gt is pretty much the same as the desktop version 8600gt which can handle games alright. on that resolution it would probably not do to bad, but i don't think you could expect wonders or highest settings.

oh and to the audio i don't know how dell does they're sound but that doesn't sound like much of a hardware improvement, but for $25 its up to you.

dont bother with the software audigy, im not. Its not hardware, its a SOFTWARE equalizer. You can actually buy it later and download it from their site if you change your mind. Your better off spending money on an xfi external card or a maudio one, which might be better i think for music listening in 2.1...

I was actually just talking a friend and was told that I'd be better off investing in an HP laptop because dells are breaking down a lot. Does it hold any truth? would i be better of buying HP ?

I'm not a fan of Dell but their XPS line is decent, I must admit. Their high end stuff is not nearly as craptastic as their cheap stuff. That said, what is the total price you're looking at here for the options you've decided on? It's quite possible we could find you something with the same specs for cheaper if you go with a good brand like Asus or MSI or some such.No point in not shopping around a bit.

i have no clue why anyone would want an xps m1330, i mean it only goes up to a 8400gs, and the price is way too much. inspiron 1520 all the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom