Trouble finding Retail Floppy Drives on newegg

Status
Not open for further replies.

True_Orb

Daemon Poster
Using the Search By Category tool I can only find OEM floppy drives. All I want is a friggin' decent black floppy drive!

What's wrong with and OEM floppy drive? I wouldn't expect you to need too much documentation and the cables are pretty easy to come by... ;)

GO OEM! It's cheaper!

Squirrelly1

I got a black sony oem drive off of newegg like two months ago for 10.99 i THINK. I really dont think brand will matter when it comes to a floppy drive nowdays!!!

Oh, and like they said you really can't mess it up that much. If you put the cable the wrong way then the floppy light will stay on so then you swap it!

An easy method I used to remember when I first started was that almost anything that requires a larger plug will have the red line (pin 1) on the cable facing toward the power plugin. This applies for most hard drives and CD-ROM drives. Floppy drives, however, are the opposite of this... the pin 1 (red line) will be facing away from the power.

I have found very few exceptions to this rule and quite a good many years working a tech bench...

On another note... remember...

for stuff that you don't plan on reading up on or needing drivers for (cd-roms, hard drives (except for SATA), floppy drives)... go with the OEM version if you can... Just remember that you won't get any documentation to speak of and you are on your own for cables and whatnot... this is why you should choose retail packages for any card devices, motherboards, and even processors (in some situations they will be accompanied by a suitable CPU Fan *AMD :)*)

Ok... I'm done... :p

Squirrelly1

Thanks! Problem now is I can't find a hard drive on newegg that is retail ( quiet 7200RPM, 8mb Cache, SATA).
I found a nice seagate but its oem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom