Will new parts fit a store bought pc case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hookster264

In Runtime
Just wondering if the 5.25" / 3.5" drive bays in my store bought HP desktop case are compatible with standard devices bought from Newegg? I was told that brand name computer companies sometimes make their cases proprietary so only their components will fit, is this true?

Generally, the things that they keep proprietary will be the motherboards, and PSU's. The 5.25" and 3.5" bays I would be certain that they are non-proprietary 99.9% of the time...

Some store pcs have proprietary motherboards? Wow...I've never seen that...

Generally, the things that they keep proprietary will be the motherboards, and PSU's. The 5.25" and 3.5" bays I would be certain that they are non-proprietary 99.9% of the time...

Yikes! So my motherboard might not fit? Since I'm building from scratch using my old case, not having the motherboard fit is gonna be a problem. Everything builds from that. I was pretty sure the devices would fit in the bays, but didn't think about the motherboard. I know it all comes down to matching up the holes, but I don't want to have to take it apart just to find out it won't fit.

I am running on 3 hours of sleep...... a little groggy...

SO, you are going to use an HP case, and use your own componense? As far as a motherboard being proprietary, they can be, but the CPU socket and interface slots/ports/whatever will be universal. It just might not conform to ATX/BTX form factor, so the mounting holes might not match up. If you have the model of the HP computer, you might be able to find that out with some searching.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom