Need criticism on my new system!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still, thanks guys!
I think I am going to stick with the Lian Li case. I am not convinced on the Athlon 64...I plan on running Windows XP and I don't see why I should be so jazzed about a new OS in the future.
Does the K8 support my AMD Barton 3200? I had my heart set on the A78X, but if I can get something of virtually comparable quality for less money, I will go for it.
I am going to initially purchase just 1 512 mb stick of ram for a start and the other stick when I get more cash.

Well, if you want to cut costs, try dropping the CD-RW drive. the DVD-RW drive can probably handle CD-RW too.
Also, if you stick with the Asus A7N8X-Deluxe, there is no need for the Audigy ZS, since I believe the A7N8X has integrated 5.1 audio.
I think that shaves of about $200, at least.
And for the case/PSU, the NZXT Guardian and a 420w Thermaltake PSU will do you nicely (it has 9 power connectors O.O)

and for RAM, take a look at Kingston's ValuRAM 512Mb dual-channel kit. it's the same price as a single 512Mb stick, so you get the same storage, but more speed.

That sounds good, but I want a single 512mb stick because I will be buying another one later when I get the cash.

You still can, I think.
Since the Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (which is the Asus board I recommend) has 3 memory slots, you can put the 512Mb kit (2 x 256Mb sticks) in two slots, and a 512Mb stick in the third.
The board would count it as two banks of 512Mb.
512Mb + (256Mb + 256Mb)

I think that's how it was described. Not completely sure though, you might want to look it up, or hope someone corrects me if i'm wrong.
Also, you might want to take a look at the FIC AU13 mobo I have.
It's cheaper, has all the integrated surround sound the Asus board has, AND digital optical and coaxial out, so you can hook up some nice speakers and get some Dolby Digital 5.1 rockin' the house.
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=13-140-112&depa=1
$88, as opposed to the Asus board's $99

no, unfortunately K8 boards don't support Athlon XP's as they are socket 754; and the reason I included another sound card is that I have heard of Asus boards and people using their onboard sound. the people described it as "crackly" or "laggy"
I think Gigabyte boards have descent onboard sound, and most of them now have Nforce 2/3 chipsets

Zero Shift: yes a DVD burner can burn normal CD's, but not as fast as a standard CDR/RW drive

for the warranties: I am pretty sure most of the parts have waranties, but I did make sure that all the brands I included are among the more reputable for quality, so you shouldn't need to return them.

in about 1 year I have heard that AMD are only going to make 64-bit CPU's, I strongly reccomend the Athlon 64 as you should have it longer than an XP before you upgrade. after all, they said that 32-bit wasn't going to take off when it first came out.

if you don't want to go 64-bit then I would suggest This Gigabyte 7S748-L with Athlon XP 3200+ Barton $210.98

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom