OS Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidwdf

Solid State Member
My new laptop is running XP Home. I know Microsoft has it where I can't load XP on another machine, but what if I need to wipe and reload?

thanks
David

davidwdf said:
My new laptop is running XP Home.

Ã…nubis, take a break bud, you have been working way too hard. lol.

Just messing with you.

David, did you buy your laptop new? If so, it should have come with a restore disk. Sometimes they come with the actual XP disk, but more often than not, it's just a restore disk.

If you don't have a disk you have two options, I think.
1. Call the manufacturer and request a new disk.
2. Call Microsoft support and request a new disk.

It just depends on who supplied the original disk. I think... lol.

The laptop is new and I do have a CD of XP Home Version. But if the registration number is recorded at MS how will they know I'm doing a re-install?

David

on the Activation, this is where it is important NOT to activate until absolutely positive on your system completion,,,once activated,, you do have x # of times before you get the big NO..I think that 6 is correct,,

Aside, when at the update sight and you get the message that says " no information is gathered by microsoft during this...""

lets just say RRRRRRRRIIIIIGGGGTT!

I work with an associate that called to request a reactivation on a dual licensed machine, basically wanted to change his mind of choice, when he offered the info on his machine,, seems the MS rep already had it on his screen??

Can anyone say BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING??

Plus, isnt that contrary to the Privacy legislation??

we had a good debate on it one day,,,

just a thought

cheers

Well the activation is crap ...you don't actually need to do it...you can just use the OS as long as you have the correct key.

THE REMINDER YOU SAY!!!

forget it ..I have got a copy of WinXP home and it like runs a dos based proggy which resets the days left to 00.
n then you can again use it. :D

thanks for the feedback guys. activation is a bunch of crap, but what can we do, Bill has us by the balls on this one.

David

ya but if ur just reformating ull be able 2 re-install it on that comp that it was registerd on they take serial numbers some-how from i think ur hd - bios - motherboard - and i think some other things and when u go 2 install win xp with the same registtation key they check to make sure all the numbers from those things are the same and if they arent no xp for u {but take a little look on yahoo for sum ways past that, hehe}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom