Gaming Video Cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TenchiRyokoMuyo

Beta member
I've been trying to learn more about video-card compatibility and performance, but so far, It's a slow process. I consider myself software, and programming efficient and knowledgeable, while my mother is usually good with hardware. However, neither of us know how to tell a good video card from another. However, I am in need of an emergency for a new laptop. I won't say the extent of the damage, except that as I'm typing now, the only thing keeping the screen propped up, is a table leg. My mother and I are searching for a new laptop for me, before I head off to college, and we've found a few. I'm a big gamer, and would like my laptop to be homework efficient too. I can handle the latter part, but I need help in choosing a video card.

Radeon X700
GeForce GO 6100
Intel Media 950
Radeon XPress 1100
Radeon XPress 200M

The Radeon Xpress 200M is my current laptop's video card. It's not the best, to be polite about it. My mothers laptop, in which I might get handed down, is the X700. The others, are laptops we're looking to replace either my laptop, to be used by me, or replace mymothers, in which I'd get hers (X700).

I know my mother's laptop is better than mine, but I don't know how well compared to others. I think her's is the best...but I don't know. Please Help.

Also, very glad to become a part of the community

It would be lovely if I was familiar with the mobile series of graphic cards; unfortunately, I'm not. But it is pretty nice to know your mother isn't computer illiterate, sounds like an awesome mom.

GMA950 can barely run Aero. GMA900 can't. These are the least favorable of the integrated graphics. X3100, however, is a pleasant surprise. It has full (or will be, thanks to a programmable chipset) DX10 support, and performs very well for an integrated solution. In fact, it's probably the most favorable (and popular) graphics solution for Intel systems.

Radeon Xpress 200M, Xpress 1100/1150 are other choices, with 1100/1150 being up to 30% faster than 200M. Some Xpress 200M's have dedicated memory (which would be an awesome plus). Most do not. You might also find Xpress 1250, which is the newest and best of the Xpress line. Xpress 1250 is probably the most favorable integrated graphics solution for AMD based laptops.

The GeForce Go 6100 and 6150 are both nearly identical, with the 6150 performing a tad better than the shared-memory 200M.

X700 would be your best choice from your list, but it is an older card, and it's discrete (not integrated/shared like the others). There are other options available in modern laptops. If you want to game, try to find a model with 8***M series graphics. They come in GS (lower end) and GT (higher end) models, and they have DX10 support. But you will take a hit when it comes to expense and battery life.

ihave the 200m xpress in my laptop in wich i use to play halo with, i suggestdownloading the ATI catylist control panel. it maes you grahics 50x better i your computer can handle the High quality end of it

ihave the 200m xpress in my laptop in wich i use to play halo with, i suggestdownloading the ATI catylist control panel. it maes you grahics 50x better i your computer can handle the High quality end of it

I already have the Catylist. It's not power, it's compatibility. Games like Knights of The Old Republic (2003), do not run due to compatibility issues. City of Villains/Heroes is near unplayable. Rephrase, it is unplayable, but does 'run', if you can call it that.

Kubel, you say that the X700 isn't integrated, or shared. I was told Video Cards cannot be exchanged in laptops, because they were integrated. Does this mean my mother's laptop's video card could be exchanged, or is it still part of the motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom