removing my main HDD and DVD burner from the "safely eject hardware" list...

Status
Not open for further replies.

therascalking

Devious Techie
does anyone know how to make my new comp stop displaying my DVD burner and main hard drive as options when i click on the "safely remove hardware" icon in my system tray? i just finished my build yesterday and am already sick of seeing those as options every time i eject a flashdrive while moving files.... oh and i have Windows XP Pro, btw... thanx - RK

Do you happen to have an Nforce chipset?

If so, go to start -> run, then run "regedit" (without quotes)

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\nvata

In the right window, right click and add DWORD value, and name it "DisableRemovable" (without quotes) and set it to 1

then restart.

hahaha five bucks to mr. huang!

the problem is, is that the sata standard states that sata drives are hot-swappable. This is why windows lists it as a device that can be removed. To my knowledge, which is limited, you cant take out the drives from under the menu. What you can do is hide the icon but that doesn't really solve your problem.

yea it's been there ever since i built my system..i have 2 WD 160's in RAID 0, and i always thought raid was the problem

actually being bad is great if u have an ipod on vista, using that safely remove hd, because doing that can damage ur ipod's HD, but if u did this, u can return it to normal by doing restore factory settings or something in iTunes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom