best quad core cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.
temperature has a positive correlation with resistivity in semiconductors, so the lower the temperature, the lower the resistance and the "happier" the semiconductor is.

Phase cooling is short for Phase Change... it means that the cooling apparatus takes a liquid with a very low vaporization temperature and applies it directly to a specialized CPU heatsink. The liquid then evaporates, and the LHV (Latent Heat of Vaporization) absorbs a lot of the heat energy from the CPU during the phase change. The gas is then recycled back into the cooling apparatus and condensed using extreme refrigeration methods to a liquid form, and the leftover heat is expelled out the back of the unit.

The layman's version is that vaporization of a liquid to a gas carries away more heat than simply heating the liquid/gas does alone (the same way sweating is used to cool the human body), and so this is adapted to processor cooling.

I'm not sure what substances they use for it, so I can't tell you the exact operating temperatures... but they could potentially range from room temperature to far into the negatives depending on what they use. Liquid Nitrogen wouldn't appear in a phase cooling system, since it's too cold to produce in a compact unit.

It should be noted, that while colder temperatures make your processors happy, they can also decrease its life span. If the temperature gets too low, it induces stress in the processor and other components which could cause it to die early or even crack.

This is probably the best air cooler, though its very expensive.

Newegg.com - VIGOR GAMING CLT-M2I 92mm Thermal Electric CPU Cooler - Retail

This is also very good though it uses water.

Newegg.com - CoolIT SYSTEMS FREEZONE Thermoelectric CPU Cooler - Retail

I had the Vigor Lite ( same thing cept with no LCD PCI screen ). It worked pretty good and although it kept my CPU temperatures nice and cold it really didn't help at all with my beyond 50 celcius mobo temperatures. Whats really weird is it kept shutting off for 1 second, and I called them and they said that was supposed to happen since my CPU chips were getting too cold ( below 20 celcius ). Overall it was okay and it gets decent-good reviews, but the fact that it takes up a PCI slot was kinda lame...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom