celeron 2.0 vs. celeron 2.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaksback

Fully Optimized
tomorrow i am buying a celeron 2.7. i am currently running a celeron 2.0. In your opinions, will i see that much of a difference in performance with gaming etc.?

At 2.0 and 2.7, gaming performance will mainly be based on AGP card. I don't think it will be that much different... Applications will run more quickly, but it won't be that much of a difference.

Al

You wont see that big of a difference for gaming since celeron is not a gaming cpu, I have a celeron 2.4 overclocked to 3.0 and my buddy's p4 2.0 is faster than mine 4 gaming.

I have a 2.8 celeron in mine and everyone tells me that it runs slower than a 2.4 pentium 4. I think they're wrong because in my other system I have a 2.5 P4 at 400 fsb (same as celeron) and my 2.8 celeron runs at 2827.82Mhz and my 2.5 P4 runs at 2500.35Mhz. As you can see the celeron runs better than expected. But then people tell me that I would get less performance for every Mhz on a celeron than a P4. I don't think you'll see any improvement on gaming but with word processing, email and internet surfing.... they will run without locking up as much, and open a little faster.

Musjunk, i'd have to agree with your friend. Celerons are basically hacked-up versions of Pentiums, with smaller caches and generally decreased performance in order to cut costs and energy consumption. They're meant to be more economical, but the cost to performance is still not worth what you pay for, for a socket 478 processor.
Intel Celerons, AMD Durons, and video cards with the 'SE' label are just cheaper, poorly made products meant to lure in people who only look at clock speed and brand names.

We have an old Celeron 1.2 and I hate it. I wish we would have got a P3 or P4 instead. But maybe the new celerons are better, but If you can get a P4.

Oh, and if my point isn't clear by now, I suggest that you (jaknlisa619) get the best pentium 4 you can, instead of wasting money on a processor that doesn't have performance in mind.
Going from one Celeron to another just isn't worth the money.
Trust me, i've gone a year with a Duron, and after changing to my Athlon XP 2600+, the change was almost unbelievable.

Same with going from the 1.2 Celeron to my 1.5 P4. I also noticed a HUGE difference from being on the Celeron and then going on my friend's 1.0 P3. So yeah don't go with a celeron.

well i'm getting it for like 75. new they run 149. can always sell both the 2.0 and the 2.7 for maybe 140 and get a p4 2.8. my mobo only supports 400 fsb and 2.8 is the max i can use on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom