Bonfire on a chipset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zekito

Solid State Member
I have a EVGA 8800 GTX riding on a ASUS P5N32-E SLI mobo with a 680i chipset. I had major heat problems with the graphics card, but Rivatuner solved that problem by turning the fan speed to 100%. But now, my chipset, which is right underneath the graphics card, is getting smouldering hot (probobly picking up heat from the gfx card). After a about 30 minutes of gameplay, i get the BSOD. The temperatures all across the system are reading OK, but the chipset on the mobo and the heatpipes connecting to it are extremely hot to the touch (i doubt there are temperature sensors on the chipset). I havn't done any overclocking, and my power rails from my 850w power supply are good. I have a Thermaltake Armor case with great air cooling, but air doesnt seem to reach the chipset as it is coverd by the gfx card.
My questions: would I be able to fit a water cooling block underneath? also, has anyone ever heard of this motherboard overheating with a 8800 GTX gfx card? I dont have much experience with these new SLI mobos, but couldn't I just move the graphics card down to the lower (im guessing secondary) PCI-E x16 slot?

i did that too. all it did was lower GFX temp down a few degrees.

anyone else have any ideas? Is this problem too tough for most people to respond to?

Could I just move the graphics card down to the lower PCI-E x16 slot? Right now it is at the top slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom