Inadequate Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

cikrum

Baseband Member
I have recently installed a new hard drive into my computer. I now have three in my computer. When a turned on my computer about maybe 8 times (just through normal use) it came up with a message saying my video card (256 nvidia 6800) was not receiving enough power. I was wondering is there anyway to test if i have a big enough power supply other than adding up all the power requirements of my machine. I have a 450 Watts power supply.
Thanks
Cikrum

power calculators don't work!!

There is no reason why your power supply isnt supplying enough "watts" as that is more then enough.

what brand/model is the psu?

when did you buy the psu?

how much did you pay for it?

I am not sure about the model or how much I payed... but I got it about a year and a half ago. So if 450 Watts if enough would it probably just be the connection from the Video card to the PSU? Thanks
Cikrum

Most power supplies won't supply exactly 450 watts of power, even though they may be rated as such. If it comes from a cheaper manufacturer you can expect less, maybe around 400 watts or so. And if you only have a single 12v rail it's quite possible that it just can't push the amount of juice your rig needs now. Watts aren't everything when it comes to PSUs. You should crack open your case and check out what brand/model your psu is so we can be more certain.

power calculators don't work!!

There is no reason why your power supply isnt supplying enough "watts" as that is more then enough.

Thats was a reskless & devoid response!

first he responds with quote "There is no reason why your power supply isnt supplying enough "watts" as that is more then enough.

Then asks the REAL questions after {which havent been answered yet}

if your PSU is made by manufacturers like Apevia / Aspire / Deer / Rosewill / Dynex / Powmax etc etc etc it doesnt matter what they rate the unit @ >>>> those all all paper weights!

Thats was a reskless & devoid response!

first he responds with quote "There is no reason why your power supply isnt supplying enough "watts" as that is more then enough.

Then asks the REAL questions after {which havent been answered yet}

if your PSU is made by manufacturers like Apevia / Aspire / Deer / Rosewill / Dynex / Powmax etc etc etc it doesnt matter what they rate the unit @ >>>> those all all paper weights!

actually, your response was the ("reskless" lol) useless one. :eek: salty usually doesn't just drop responses out of his @$$, he knows what he is talking about. all of his questions are neccessary.

O/P...i am not familiar with your video card, so a few questions:
does it have a supplemental power connection?
if so, is it secure?
i assume you did not have this problem before the installation of your new hdd.
have you tried removing the new hdd and see if the problem is solved?
if you take it out and have no more problems, i would wager that indeed your psu is either too weak to run all your components, or it is in the process of kicking the bucket.
can you get your hands on a multi-meter to test the output?

Thanks for the Replies,
Well I believe the PSU is an Antec (probably should have thought of that seeing as how they came together). But the good news is it just fixed itself. I Stopped getting low power for my Video card. I tried removing the hard drives and nothing comes up. I put them back in and still nothing comes up. So I am not really sure what would have caused it other than maybe faulty connection to video card.
Thanks a lot
Cikrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom