What Kind of Hard Drive Do I Want?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsyCho_BoB

Baseband Member
I was thinking 80GB, so what do the SATA and IDE things mean? Some good brands?
*not doing any overclocking*

Thanks

Go for the SATA if your motherboard supports it. The install guide is on the site if you need it. Need to get floppy with drivers and hit F6 during install, and you are good to go :)

I have an SATA and it worked so much better than my 80 mb IDE. My preference has been Maxtor for the past few years.

If you're like me, and dont want to deal with SATA for a bit, (or you just dont have the hardware, also like me :p )...

You can get a Seagate (VERY quiet drives) 120gb with an 8mb cache, 7200 RPM, "non-SATA" (IDE) for about, if not under 100 bucks.

You'll definatly like the extra space. My brother thought 80 would be enough, and now hes down to 30gb on a 120gb and refuses to take anything off!

SATA Western Digital Caviar are very good drives. 120 Gb is a good enough size.

I don't think Western Digital have true SATA drives... I could be wrong though
Seagate are one of the few brands that make drives that run purely off SATA, rather than emulating it from ATA100/133
there is that, and they're such a reliable and quiet drive

Yeah I heard that too... they would only get regular ATA performance, but with all the extra configuration you have to do (though it's not a problem, really) so it would defeat the purpose of buying an SATA drive, unless you want to reduce case clutter... but then again thats what rounded IDE cables are for. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom