Help Please...problem With Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no clue if i'm running the correct version of directx for the card or not. I dont even know what directx is...When you mean reformat, do u mean wiping out all the stuff? How should i do it? Please help!Thanks!

Let's not jump to conclusions yet, it might not be DirectX that's causing the problem. DirectX is closely tied into gaming applications and since Noob mentioned nothing about gaming problems, let's keep it simple and try focus the problem shooting to 1, 2 areas.

The first thing I would try is using XP's system restore. Like i said earlier, this option will work only if you have a valid restore point you can revert back to BEFORE your problems began.

Otherwise, you can go through the control panel and open your 'Add/Remove Programs' applet. If it lists the update pack you downloaded from MS's website, try to uninstall it.

You can access the Device Manager through the console management feature. Start | Run type in "gpedit.msc" w/out the quotes and you'll get the group editor policy. In the top drop down menu, you'll see an option to access the Device Manager there somewhere. Can't reme3mber the exact menu option right now.

However, i have an easier method of uninstalling your video card driver. Try booting into safe mode to uninstall the driver. Reboot the system normally and your system will say Found new hardware... when it prompts you to install the driver, you can insert your CD, or just point to the path where it's stored.

The other problem you have (perhaps unrelated) is your device manager appearing and disappearing when you click on it. That's strange. It might be a virus problem and it might not be. Again, i hate to jump to conclusion. Do you regularly update your virus definitions? Have you run Spybot or AdAware to check for any malicious spyware?

Acutally, the graphics in the games are much improved! They're not as blurry anymore. However programs like AIM still dont work...I've been thinking that the driver was the problem with AIM but is there really a connection?

Noob, i got your PM. However, unless it's something personal, i prefer to reply here on the thread. It sounds like you got your video problem worked out.

As far as your AIM is concerned, i don't know why it doesn't list it in the Add/Remove control panel. I would try to delete the current directory where AIM is installed and re-install it. Did you doublecheck your Start | Programs folder to make sure it wasn't tucked away somewhere out of view?

Thanks Lone Wolf. I went to the directory (D:\Program Files) and i found that there are 2 Aim applications! There is just plain AIM and there's also aim523292. There's even a AIM+ setup but that shouldn't matter. Should i manually delete all three of them?

That's fine, you can just delete those current directories and when you re-install AIM, windows will automatically re-create it for you.

Before you do that, run the msconfig utility and uncheck (or delete) any lines that reference your current installation of AIM.

ok, but how do you run the msconfig utility? I went to start/run/typed in msconfig but after i press "ok" it loads a while but nothing happens...what should i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom