Computer won't POST

Status
Not open for further replies.

mass0ver

Baseband Member
I've unplugged everything but the essentials, mobo, ram, psu and video card. When I turn my power button on the back of the computer on, the green light on my motherboard does turn on. Once I go to turn my computer on, my psu starts spinning loudly. My CPU fan starts to spin normally and I hear 1 beep....couple seconds later I hear 2 more beeps. Then my computer turns off. The green light on my mobo is still on. I lost my mobo manual and apparently my google skills are sub-par today because I cannot find a guide to my mobo's POST beeps...or whatever they're called.

I can't trouble shoot much as I have no spare parts. Trying to talk to some friends that may have some spares but I don't have high hopes. Just looking for any suggestions...maybe someone has experienced the same thing. Don't want to make 20 trips to the store today ;].

specs: asus p5p, p4 2.6 ghz, 512 kingston pc2400, asus gforce TI 4200, Xtreme 400W psu.

Sounds like memory problem, try switching the RAM between 1st and 2nd bank. Else you might have a bad stick of RAM.

I would also reseat the video card. Im not sure how different post beep codes are through different manufacturers but mine for a bumed out video card is one long two short. I know that doesnt match yours but its quick enough to merrit a try.

So I've done a lot of things. Don't really know what got it to POST. Now, I only hear one beep and my computer begins to load up normally. However, the original problem still exists; I get my motherboard options page where it says "press del to enter bios" or whatever. I try to click it but my computer turns off. It also turns off if my OS tries to load normally. Mobo light is still on though. If my PSU is broken, would my computer load up at all? Would the green light on my motherboard still be on?

Law: I tried 2 different sticks in all 4 slots. No luck.
Quaz: There's no more POST beeps anymore so I guess my video card is ok? :)

luckily I got a spare mobo/cpu from a friend and that fixed the problem. this computer is a ticking time bomb....july 22 needs to get here quicker!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom