Frequent Freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraph

In Runtime
My computer has been freezing since the day that I built it, but today it has been really bad. It has frozen probably 4 times within 4 hours. I often find it frozen when it has been idling for a while, but not all the time. It froze 2 times while I was playing Diablo 2 today. When it freezes, if there is a sound playing it loops. The keyboard does not function when it freezes (as in I can't toggle caps lock on/off and stuff.)

Here are my computer specs:

Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+
eVGA NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT/GTO
2GB Corsair DDR2 RAM
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
Antec True Power 2.0 500W Power Supply
some old Western Digital 80gb hard drive

First check if all the drivers u installed are correct , if you overclocked then set it to default . Tell you the Truth im thinking its your HD messing with you download either Western Digital Data Lifeguard 5.04f or Western Digital DLG for Windows 1.07.01 and make a bootable floppy from it and run the floppy as a first boot device, let it finish and the program will tell you if the HD has bad sectors or not.

I dont have a floppy disk drive :p

it COULD be my hard drive because it is old, and I have it set up in a wierd way. I have it set so that the CD drive and HD are both on the same cable (this HD doesnt have a SATA port, it has a big ribbon cable.) But I was thinking of getting a new hard drive anyway.

the hard drive is ide and there is nothing wrong with the hard-drive being on the same ribbon cable as the cd drive, if the hdd is old i would consider purchasing a SATA one

Everytime I had problems with the random freeze ups it was always driver related.

Yeah sometimes it just straight up crashes, and when I log into windows it says the error may have been caused by drivers, but I have checked my drivers and as far as I can tell I have the latest ones. I can't find any for my HD though.

In device manager this is the HD:

WDC WD800BB-00FJA0

driver is:

Version 5.1.2535.0

This driver is from 7/1/2001 so it is really old, but so is the drive, so I don't know if there are new ones for it or not. I have looked before but I just dont know where to find them.

Its more than likely the HD. A failing HD can cause all kinds of problems like that.

HD's dont need drivers (as in, they dont make them).

But it could be overheating. Make sure you put on a proper amount of thermal paste or a thermal pad between the heatsink and the cpu, and then make sure the fan is mounted properly/firmly. Ive heard of some heatsinks coming warrped or something. Check yours.

the temperature gauge on the heatsink says that the hottest it ever gets is about 106 degrees Fahrenheit, and sometimes it freezes when I am not doing anything stressful to the computer.

So, looks like it is time for a new HD :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom