Gaming Desktop for College-Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechSimp

Beta member
Hello Everyone,

I am new here, so I apologize if this happens to be in the wrong section, or if the answers to some of my questions are already easily found. That said, I need some help. I am looking to buy a relatively powerful gaming desktop to use this summer, and during college. My problem is that I am entirely unfamiliar with most computer hardware and software, so I do not know exactly what sort of computer I should get, what specific parts I should look for, and which company to buy from that would best satisfy my needs. I will attempt to give you guys as much information as possible in regards to what I plan to do on this computer, so that you can point me in the right direction. Before I go into specifics, I will say now that I have no interest or desire to build my own desktop; I am going to buy this. I also do not want to overclock anything.

The vast majority of the games I play are RPGs and RTSs. I very rarely play shooters. Some examples of games I would get for my new computer are Supreme Commander, C&C 3, Age of Empires III, and Medieval II: Total War.

My budget for this machine is going to be $2000, although I could throw in up to $500 more if it would significantly increase my gaming experience.

I would like to buy a machine that is relatively powerful, but I do not believe that it needs to be absolutely top-of-the-line. I am looking to buy a computer that would be able to play most games on medium setting for the next four years or so, if such a thing is possible in my budget. I really appreciate any advice that you guys give me, I'll be checking in on this thread throughout the day. Thanks again.

hmm here are some stuff you need...

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 or E6750 (wait until July 22 the day of release)
GeForce 8800 GTX
Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6
Rosewill RP550
G skill HZ RAM
2 320GB WD or Seagate hard disk and raid them if you like...
Liteon 20X DVDRW burner
Case, keyboard, and mouse are really up to you...

Hey TechSimp,
Welcome to T.F.!!

Although it is very unfortunate, that you will not be building and overclocking....look at sites like cyberpowerpc.com and ibuypower.com....they sell pre-built computers, that you can pick the parts to.

Can I ask why you're not building or overclocking? If it's because, you are a complete beginner, and don't know what to do, you're not alone. We've helped so many beginners, just like you. You will save a lot of money, building it yourself....and you also learn a lot, during the process of building it yourself.

TechSimp, I was looking to buy a computer also and the guys here talked me into building instead of buying.

Wow....am I ever glad I did. I even ended up building one with my son for him, and he had great fun and learned soooo much in the process.

It really is not hard.

We have had ours built for around 7-8 months now, and everything has been fine.

TechSimp, I was looking to buy a computer also and the guys here talked me into building instead of buying.

Wow....am I ever glad I did. I even ended up building one with my son for him, and he had great fun and learned soooo much in the process.

It really is not hard.

We have had ours built for around 7-8 months now, and everything has been fine.

yep i built this system 6 years ago, only 8 at the time..... back then it was a bit harder.... now its freaking simple and ppl get wowed at the fact that i can build one....... its a matter of seeing how things go.... and color coordinating....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom