8800 in a pci-e 4x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ummmmm..yeah guys...the pcie x 4 slot is a different size/length than pcie x 16 slot (look at your motherboard).
so, unless you took some scissors to your card (lol dont do this really), it wont fit in the slot.
if you were trying to put a pcie x1 card into a larger slot, it would work fine.
ie you can use a pcie card in any slot that is at least as large as it is. but it doesnt work the other way around, ie you cant put x4 card in a x1 slot, or a x16 card in a x4 slot.
NO WORKIE.

o ok i see now i was thinking he had a pci e slot that was the size of a x16 but only ran at 4x speeds like alot of motherboards have with their secondary one (well they usually run at 8x but still the same concept)

it is the same size as a 16x. All pci-e4x slots are. Newegg had it listed as: PCI-E16x Slots: 1 (max 4x-mode).

no the x4 will take a 8800gts as i have a times four slot and it is shorter but it doesnt have a wall that wil stop u its just an open slot so u can put longer cards in it i tried it with my 7900gt it works just the x4 will botle neck it a litle

no the x4 will take a 8800gts as i have a times four slot and it is shorter but it doesnt have a wall that wil stop u its just an open slot so u can put longer cards in it i tried it with my 7900gt it works just the x4 will botle neck it a litle

oh i get it. thats a good explanation. Still....you wont get the x16 width the card needs and it wont be that much of an upgrade
also, TAKE A PICTURE OF THAT SLOT, i MUST have a look at it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom