Wireless software won't load after re-format

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickyJ

Solid State Member
Hi, Hope this is the correct forum to post.. there are so many to choose from! I'm new to this, so please bear with me.

2 days ago I had my desk top pc re-formatted (black screen) The shop put back my windows XP home edition (actually, it must have been their own XP because I couldn't locate my disc, but it was my code or whatever it's called because it was on a sticker on the side of the computer when we bought it from them 3 years ago) and I started to re load my software. I started with the wanadoo wireless software in order to get the internet up and running. I can already hear the rumblings of 'what do you expect with wanadoo....' but I have to say that for the last 2 years we've had 3 desk tops and one lap top working wirelessly (is that a proper word?!?) in the house, with no problems at at - yep you hear right, no problems at all! Maybe a first for Wanadoo?!?

However.... I put in the disc and got to the first screen where asked to exit or continue and the disc just freezes. Re clicking just results in another entry in the processes list in task manager. I've also re-started the pc in safe mode and tried to re-install that way, but the same thing happens.

I removed the program from my sons computer and re-loaded it to test if the disc was at fault - and no problems, his is still running like a dream. I also did the same with my daughters machine and again, she's still Bebo-ing away to her hearts content!

I phoned wanadoo and they said the computer shop must have loaded something on my pc that wasn't there previously that is now conflicting with the installation but they would send me a new disc as a precaution. This was 2 days ago and I haven't received the disc yet, but I don't see how that will resolve the problem anyway, seeing as the original disc loads perfectly well on the other 2 machines in the house and it wasn't an internet problem that messed my machine up in the first place - it was a faulty hard drive appartently (which they fixed)

I phoned the computer shop who insist that the installation was exactly the same as when I purchased the machine. But how can this be, when the internet was working fine before the blinkin machine crashed? Surely they must have put something back differently?

Can anyone help please..... apologies for rambling.

Regards, Nicky (very stressed out mum with no online spades to play to unwind!)

What wireless adaptor are you using? the computer shop may have just re installed xp but not your drivers. The wanadoo cd is probably just not needed and wireless can be setup without it. Is this how its setup:

your PC----connected to a wireless adaptor))))))))gets signal from wireless router

Hi, yes that's the equipment I've got. It's an inventel adapter that's plugged into the pc, to a usb port. Normally the cd loads the wanadoo IE and the inventel wireless manager software. Am I making sense?

I'm home from work nowm, have kicked son off his pc to check for updates, so there may be pauses getting any info you ask for, as he wins the battle to get back on!

Thanks very much for replying

ok then I would find out the in wanadoo inventel adapter product number it could be "Cohiba 3887 rev 0" it should be on the device somewhere.

Also another idea is when you put the cd in don't run it, right click my computer >properties then choose hardware>device manager.

Once in device manager there should be some things with yellow ! next to them hopefully one is your wireless adaptor if you see it right click and choose update drivers.

Then on the screen that appears choose no not this time click next then on the next one click next again, it should scan the cd and find the drivers to install.

You were spot on about the driver not being installed. There was a yellow exclamation mark next to something called Cohiba 3887 rev0 in the device manager. I did as you suggested and tried to update the drivers, but I'm back to the same old nugget, in that my blinkin machine won't read anything on that disc, or indeed any of the discs that I have for Wanadoo. The message I got after running trhough your instructions was 'The driver for this device are not installed (code28)

My brother said it might be something to do with current activex files being installed in the reformat and these conflicting with an older version on the cd so I've deleted them (I think) and it still didn't work! My bro can't really help, because he was texting from the USA where he's working for a year. He always did like to throw a spanner in the works and then vanish before being any real help at all.

So, you're my only hope....... any more suggestions please

Cheers, Nicky

well you seem to have a pain in the backside adaptor there :)

This took me awhile to find! but this should be the driver:
http://www.aprocom.net/ciril/inventel/UR054g.zip

when downloaded click it and choose extract or unzip it should put the driver in a folder. Now do the device manager thing again choose install software from a specific location. Click next then on the next screen check the box saying "include this location in the search", click browse and go to the folder that the file extracted to click OK then next and if all goes well it should show it transferring.

worst case scenario:
this driver is for a netgear adaptor but it might use the same chips

WG111v2 Support Page

and on the left it has driver versions so Id personally download them all, to do that click them one at a time and on the screen that appears there's a yellow button saying right click to download etc do that. Then when they download click them it should unzip to a folder make sure each unzips to its own folder. Then follow the process above for each folder and see if it installs the driver.

OK, so now I'm (almost) REALLY fed up. Downloaded the files to a usb storage thing and then unzipped them to a folder I made on my desk top. Did the device manager thing again and located the driver folder within my new folder. Set the process rolling and my bloomin machine couldn't find the right file, even though I had told it where to look AAAAHHHHH!!!

Don't know if I'm having a blond moment, or the thing is just basically broken with a capital B! I'm sure I did everything you said. There were an awful lot of programs that got downloaded.

Nicky :(

hmm.. then I am also stumped! the is another driver:
http://www.aprocom.net/ciril/inventel/UR054g(R01).zip

but doubt it`ll work if the other one didn't, when you put them all in one folder did you select each individual folder inside that one when doing the browsing for drivers?

go into the UR054g folder and see if there's a file called setup or install and double click it and hope it works.

although once the driver is installed there is more to do to get your internet working! you will get the wireless icon in the bottom right with a red X through it you`ll have to either find your network or manually enter the details. I am currently in work but leaving soon so cant reply back until late about 10:30pm UK time (current time 8:55pm).

It's day 2. I'm back at work, having slept and managed to stop myself from throwing the bloomin thing out of the window!

I'm nearly at the stage where I take it back to the computer shop and pay for them to fix it

Thank you very much for your help anyway and if you can think of anything else I'm always listening.

Cheers, Nicky

Try running your computer in safe mode to do this when you turn on your computer keep pressing F8 until a menu appears then choose safe mode without networking then try running the cd or the other steps above. If F8 doesnt work it could be F6/7 sorry the problem hasnt been resolved :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom