New build won't boot from cd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohGrFreak

ID.10T
When I insert any XP disc into my cd drive to install on a freshly formatted hdd (formatted externally on a second PC, then installed on the new PC), I get a boot failure about 20 minutes later, it just sits at the "boot from cd:_" prompt before I get the error. But if I insert a 2000 cd, it boots fine, but alas, it asks for a sp4 disc which I don't have and the installation of 2000 fails. I would love to install xp, which seems next to impossible right now.

The boot sequence is first priority cdrom and I unchecked the hdd altogether. I have both the hdd and the cd (actually a lite on dvd burner) on the same IDE channel, but both on cable select, could that be causing the problem?

Thanks guys

Just for kicks, I tried it in my other computer, they all boot fine (two xp discs and one 2000 disc).

The new build looks pretty good, bios comes up quick, so the video card works, the psu is fine, the hdd worked great in my other comp as an external, the dvd burner works with the 2000 disc, but i can't finish the 2000 install, and i know the xp disc works, no scratches.

Here's what I did to go around the problem. I used a cheap ribbon cable to run to the second IDE channel, I set both HDD and DVD drive to their own master channels. I didn't want to do this because I don't want ribbon cable in the system and I bought the round cable for a reason, but I couldn't find any single round cables for a decent price (within my build budget at least, and the two on one were the right price).

I had to reboot a couple times, the install got stuck at "press f6 to install raid drivers", but after the reboot, it seems to be working just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom