Firewire Switching

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looby

In Runtime
k i have a WD 500GB external firewire drive and 2 computers sitting a foot and a half apart and want to hook them both up to that same drive(like a Network storage system). drive has 2 FW ports on it so i hooked one to each computer and it works but... i get this message delayed write error every second they are both connected... i also tried hooking a crossover cable to network the computers the same message (and it killed the wireless adapters). is there a way to do this and access the drive from both computers (NOT AT THE SAME TIME) i will be working on the internet on one and want music or a movie of the other and this changes depending on what im doing so... ideas? i looked for a firewire switch like the USB ones but i havent been able to find one.

would this work:

get rid of the 2 seperate wireless adapters in the computers and get like an access point and set the drive as shared on one computer and just set up a wired network between my 2 computers and then use the access point for wireless access??

Peace
Looby

That is the approach I would take. Hook the drive up to one computer, set it up as a shared drive and then map it as a network drive on the other computer.

k so i just found out an access point is not what i thought it was so i need 2 ethernet ports and i need it to pull the wireless signal from the air and sent it to the computers connected. would that be a router? when i tried to set up me router it would not let me unless i have a direct internet hard line connected... i have the netgear WPN824. what would i need to make this all work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom