8800 gts 320mb power supply requirement ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't there a report released that warned against using dual 12v rail power supplys??? Some sorta load issue, anyways, you should find a good psu around 500-600 watts with 30-40 amps on the 12v rail if you wanna be purely safe. Don't forget your processor and motherboard take a great deal of power to.

So how does the 2 rails work.. do i just plug the 6 pin pci-e connector to my graphics card & it will auto use the 2 rails.. ? the 8800 gts wants 27A & this power supply that law recomends Mwave Australia: Easy Shopping Easy Life

power supply Specs. combined +12V: 36A/432W

Product list

graphics card requirements
Minimum 400W or greater system power supply (with 12V current rating of 26A)

It's quite hard to find a decent price for a single +12v rail PSU, which I would prefer over multiple rails. You'll find many good dual rail PSU that will run a single 8800GTS under 500W. With most PSU today being multiple rails you'll be hard press to find 26A on a single 12v rail because the industry is leaning towards stability and safety issues. Would that mean the card will not work? That's not the case, if that was true than the multiple rails would be obsolete by now.

The card alone will not take up 26A, just remember that your motherboard also supplies power to the card. 400W, 26A is just Nvidia recommendation which includes other devices like the CPU, RAM, HD, CD/DVD and any other devices that utilize the +12v rail to be able to run a system with the 8800GTS. And room for more power when you are gaming.

That SilverStone I mention is more than enough for your system and a single 8800GTS 320 or the 640. That 430W is probably enough to run your system but just add more for room to grow unless you want to keep buying another PSU when you add more devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom