A unique networking situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwer9182

Solid State Member
One rather strange Internet configuration I have seen is a cable modem connection shared on a network through a Linksys DSL/Cable router. The strange thing was that the cable modem was connected to a power outlet timer, appearently to disable Internet access at a given time. While it appears as it would work, the cable modem seemed to be having trouble turning back on when power was re-enabled to the outlet to which it was connected. A solution was the manually disconnect and reconnect the modem's power. My question is, would using a setup like this be likely to cause any problems with the network's operation?

An alternate method I was suggesting was using software installed on the computer to enable/disable Internet access at specified times. Can anyone suggest any software that is very low on resource usage (the computer in question is an old Windows 95 Pentium 133 MHz system) that would strictly limit usage time (or not much else as well)?

Also, can multiple modems be placed on a cable Internet connection? The cable signal is split to several places, one of which has the cable modem (and the others have TVs). Can I install a cable modem where one of the TVs is in addition to the existing cable modem? Would this require additional services from the cable company, since the modem has to be registered on their network? I am looking for ways to connect a computer to this system that would have uninterrupted access while not giving uninterrupted access to the computer I described earlier.

Also, a "security glitch" that I noticed in this system is that although the room where the modem is located is locked, the modem is connected to an X-10 outlet that is integrated with the house security system, the outlet can be manually re-enabled at any time through the security system's code panel. This means that when the modem is shut off it can be re-enabled by anyone by simply pressing a few buttons on the security code panel. So, with this hole, the system described above does nothing but disconnects the user, and then can be re-enabled seconds later.

Please give me your feedback on this and any concerns you feel should be addressed. My questions were...

1) Would this cause problems with the network and operation of the router?
2) What software is best for restricting Internet usage times?
3) Can multiple cable modems be connected to a cable input and work? If so, how?

1) It can, many cable modems have problem regaining sync when unplugged from power on a continuous basis.
2) Not sure, never used software like that.
3) It is possible to use multiple cable modems, but chances are, 2 things will happen.
1.You will be charged probably twice as much (thats the way Time Warner does it, I work there) Which means, say your paying $44.95/mo fir 1 modem, you will pay an additional $44.95/mo for each extra one.
2. You will probably begin to have signal problems on at least one of the modems. The fact that you would be splitting the signal between modems can cause issues.

How about if a service offers "additional dynamic IP addresses"? Would this be the required service needed to have two modems?

no, that services allows you to connect your computer to a Hub and assign multiple dynamic internet IP address to multiple computers, but still only one modem.

You would need to contact your ISP and ask them how much it would be. Like I said though, they will most likely charge you double your normal internet service price, if you use two modems, regardless of whether you purchase the modem or not.

Alternate options

Since the use of two modems doesn't seem like a very simple solution, can anyone recommend an alternate method of limiting a computer's Internet access times rather than disconnecting power to network components?

Hi Guys!,,, nifty situation here,,

as you dont outline if the primary PC is XP,, i will assume that it could be,, Vince is correct on all counts for the network problem with the frequent power outs,, syncs, IP's/ hanging IP's could cause major network connection issues, basically NONE :)

If you make the primary PC an XP pro machine and multihome it, you will be able to have one pc pulling one IP from the ISP, connect this to one of the NICS,,,from the other NIC, feed it to an Uplink on a HUB,, make sure it is a 10/100 for performance issues,, then,, this is where the XP internet sharing kicks in,, plug the other machines into the Hub...

On the primary PC,, XP there is a Shared networking wizard that will make a diskette to run in each NON XP machine to add it to the network,, the Prime PC will give DHCP addresses automatically in the 192.168.x.x range,,

Now as for access, you are able to choose if the Prime PC is controlling the Internet access OR if users that logon Wake the Prime PC and the Gateway is activated at THEIR LOGON/powerOn..

If you choose that the attached machines can only have internet access if PRime PC is on,, then that PC dictates Internet Access,,,

other than that there is a programme called WatchDog that will kick users off at specified times configured by you,,,

Just some ideas,,Hope it helps,,

cheers

If the modem is the only device required to connected (with the exception of the router, which does not get disconnected) there should be no problems?

Also, with the router (it is a Linksys), it renews its DHCP lease from the modem every 7 days. If the modem is powered off it cannot renew properly. Will it most likely try again later when the modem is powered up or will another 7 days have to pass until it will work again?

does your isp provider check back with you in 7 days if your connection goes out of sync??

hmmm... i think not,, even though the linksys might be functional , who knows the state of your ISp?

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom