My Vista Startup time is taking waaaay too long...help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fcui21

Solid State Member
from the time I press the power button to power up the PC to the time it gets to the log on screen (username/password), it takes anywhere between a minute to 3 minutes at times, usually 2-3 minutes. It just sits there, pure black screen then eventually the log on screen comes up. I have checked what I could in the Bios to make sure everything is ok and it appears it is. The pc is only 4 months old and wasn't like this before. Moreover, I sure don't expect Vista to act like this much less with a new Dell PC....help, please?? PS- I have the Vista Premium (32-bit) on a Dell Dimension E520 with Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6300 (1.86GHz,1066FSB) with 2MB cache, 2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Graphics GPU and 250GB SATA II Hard Drive (7200RPM). I did have a Nvidia 7300LE video card installed but I have removed it from one of the PCI-e slots.

New Dell PC...there is the problem. Do you have the AOL trial, Netscape trial, mcafee trial or any of htat other trial software on there? If so all that helps slow down your PC. Espically Norton and McAfee. They can slow down a boot time up to 50% or more. I have done tests in VMWare to prove this.

Open up the Command Prompt. Type in msconfig. Under Startup see what you have running. that will help us figure out the issue.

Hey Makaveli,

No I have removed the useless trail softwares that it came with but I do have the full version of McAfee security center installed on my PC. I have to note though that this 2-3 minute boot time problem even with McAfee installed was not as bad as it is today until I removed a video card in one of the PCI-e slots (Nvidia 7300LE)....I noticed right around the time I did this is when this problem started happening...could be a coincidence but from a software standpoint the only things I have set up to run at start-up would be McAfee and PC tools SPyware Doctor.

It could be that by removing the video card that the PC is still trying to load the drivers for the card even though it isnt there. That would lead me to suspect a driver loading issue which can cause load times to increase. In that case you need to google for driver cleaner pro and remove all old drivers that are no longer in use. Like the nvidia ones. If you have installed a newer card then still remove all the old drivers and re-install them. That way the PC isnt looking for the 7300 and will look for the new card installed.

That's what I have been suspecting to be the problem...would you be able to refer me to a few places for driver cleaners? I googled it and found several places, some for $10 some for free (Freeware)...I would like a reliable one without any hidden malware or even a virus attached to it :eek:

Well, I had that sammmmmmmme problem and I went back to XP and everything is working fine now. Vista is just buggy, you can please that player.

Sounds like it's hanging on a driver. Try reinstalling the drivers for your onboard 6150 graphics, and make sure there isn't a setting in BIOS that is disabling your onboard graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom