Do you think a 550W PSU can handle SLI 8800's?

Can the 550W handle two 8800's?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• I don't know

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
That single 8800GTS will probably consume about 235W to 250W during gaming. Plus you have a lot more components, I would be reluctant to run two with your PSU.

What type of PSU you're dealing with, and what it's capable of? One with 28a on the 12v rail, crappy efficiency, no PFC, a lot of ripple.. If you really want to run 8800gts in SLI on the PSU, be my guest, just know what you're dealing with before you buy the 8800gts. A bunch of forum people who have no clue about your PSU at all telling you what to do isn't what I would base whether I go SLI or not on.

just try and it report back
If/when I get the money, I will. :cool: But that's why I was askin', to see if I'd have to buy a new PSU as well...and/or what people thought!

Too bad no friends nearby have the same card, if/when I do get a second, it'd be annoying to find out the PSU can't take it...:snob:

As far as over-clocking, I don't do any ... I don't have the cooling for it. I made a mistake in buying the "factory over-clocked" SUPERCLOCKED card though...hmm, maybe I can under-clock it! :laughing:

@Ste, hah, a power meter would be awesome! And a free one? Nice! I've been looking at them off and on, but usually figure the cost of one isn't worth the bother, but they're so cheap now...

@Deathawk, that's an awesome resource / link...I'm going to read through his tests later tonight, thanks! :rolleyes:

Thanks for all da' replies.

y'all should seriously do some f'ing studying.

jonnyGURU's Personal Website

You act as if one power supply being tested indicates the quality for every one ever built.

Which is certainly not the case.

Now the PSU should power the cards in Sli Fine, if it doesn't, we will find out.

Edit: Since you won't be overclocking there should be even less chance of problems or insufficient power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom