Help picking out my new gaming rig!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaV II DARK II

Gears of War King
Iam going to be building a new gaming rig and ive compiled a list of what iam thinking of getting as of now.

I will be building my system after july 22nd when the intel processors price drop

Some questions though before i start with my list

1:Is there a difference in performace between a C2D and a QUAD core (q6600)

2:Is there also a difference between the 8800 gts 640mb and the 8800 gtx 768mb?

3:What would be a good mobo? I was thinking of either a p35 or a 680i sli
Which would be better for OC?

So now that ive asked my questions heres what iam thinking of building

Quad core intel processor (q6600)
EVGA nVIDIA 8800 GTS 640mb or 8800 GTX
Corsair XMS2 2GB
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi
Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 500GB Hard Drive
Lastly iam thinking of either a p35 or 680i mobo

Hey MaV II DARK II,
Welcome to T.F.!!

The difference, is more multitasking with the quad core.

The difference between the GTX and GTS models, is that the GTX is the higher end model. It has 32 more stream processors than the GTS, and has faster clock speeds.

A good motherboard right now, is the Gigabyte P35-DS3R. It will get you, the better overclock. Don't bother looking at 680i.

Hey MaV II DARK II,
Welcome to T.F.!!

The difference is more multitasking with the quad core.

The difference between the GTX and GTS models, is that the GTX is higher end model. It has 32 more stream processors than the GTS, and has faster clock speeds.

A good motherboard, right now, is the Gigabyte P35-DS3R. It will get you, the better overclock. Don't both looking at 680i.

Thanks!

As you could see iam fairly new to building computers and this will be my first!

I was wondering if the GTX is worth the extra money

If you're looking to play games at the highest settings, then yes....the GTX is worth it, if you can afford.

Sorry for all the questions but i still have one more

I really like how the Alienware P2 Case looks and right now Alienware is selling a barebones kit for $400 which includes a power supply and the case

I like having a nice looking case like Alienware, Velocity Micro, Voodoo, Falcon Northwest etc and i was wondering if these companies just sell their case or if theres some better looking case or just as good looking cheaper or around same price

For a $2k budget, I would suggest:

Case - Thermaltake Armor or Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 or Antec 900
Motherboard - Gigabyte P35-DS3R
CPU - E6750 or Q6600
RAM - 2 x 1GB G.Skill DDR2-800 HZs
Graphics - EVGA 8800GTX
Power Supply - Corsair 620HX
Hard drive - Seagate 7200.10 320GB 16mb cache(x2 if you want to RAID them)
Optical Drive - Sony NEC Optiarc DVD Burner
Optional Sound card - Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty or X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1(Cheaper)
Optional aftermarket CPU cooler - Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme edition(No fan included) or Tuniq 120(Cheaper)

Actually this list, comes under a total of $2000. It's more like $1700+.

Sorry for all the questions but i still have one more

I really like how the Alienware P2 Case looks and right now Alienware is selling a barebones kit for $400 which includes a power supply and the case

I like having a nice looking case like Alienware, Velocity Micro, Voodoo, Falcon Northwest etc and i was wondering if these companies just sell their case or if theres some better looking case or just as good looking cheaper or around same price

Alienware, has just announced, they will be selling their cases separately. In my opinion, this is just a waste of money. $400 for a case only?!!...that's too much. You can spend that money, elsewhere on more important components.

Read my previous post, of the suggested parts, for your budget.

Alienware, has just announced, they will be selling their cases separately. In my opinion, this is just a waste of money. $400 for a case only?!!...that's too much. You can spend that money, elsewhere on more important components.

Also brings a Power Supply, lol.

I know what you mean but i always wished i had an Alienware and was always looking to see if someone would just sell the case and BAM! My dream came true.

It says its a limited time offer do you think thats true?

Yes it is true. It's limited, because if it was not, PC builders would just buy the case....instead of Alienware's computers. Resulting in a lost of profits for them....because PC builders like us, know that their computers are way overpriced, for their specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom