Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

learnoracle

Beta member
What is equivalent to Windows XP Professional in Windows Vista family?
which vista version should i need to buy?

Home Premium if you want the Media Center. Business Edition if you do not. Other than that there is no need to go for Ultimate.

Business Edition doesnt have the MCE part but it does have great Networking abilties. While Home Premium does have MCE part but the networking is a bit more difficult to get used to.

will you be building a new pc? or using a slightly older machine?

I would say if you have some extra $ go with Ultimate. It includes extra driver support for older machine's. If your building a new one, Ultimate Edition include's BitLocker Drive Encryption, for added security. Also, just as with XP Home and Pro, Pro just seemed to work a bit better at times then Home.

Its outrageously stupid that you have to choose. MS should just sell ultimate...just like they should have just sold xp pro.

Yeah, because forcing everyone to pay the higher price wouldn't make them any money...

Oh, wait, Yes it would.

I like to think they did it so people can accidentally buy the wrong one and then have to buy another copy.

Either that or:

They did it for all of the people out there who feel like they don't want to upgrade because it will be too overwhelming. They just started to learn how to use xp and they just cant see changing to this huge new OS. So by creating "lower" levels of vista people will feel that it will have less things to confuse them and that it will be easier to learn. Hence the whole "choose the version thats just right for you" marketing ply on the vista site. It makes people feel safe that they wont be getting in over their heads. Which in the long run gets more people to buy Vista sooner. Because we all know it will end up on every new computer anyways.

haha unless people start buying the new ubuntu dells.

They did it so they can charge extra to get full functionality out of your product. The pricetag on ultimate is way too high for an average OS. Its all about $$$. Cheap marketing scheme.

true, the marketing these days is enough to drive ppl insane and just decide, i'll take that one!

The only difference between Ultimate and any others is the Extras. Aside from the things i mentioned above. Mainly the MC. Ultimate Extras are few and far between. Dreamscene is only a animated desktop. There are applicaitons out there for XP that do this. The Hold 'Em Poker is a nice game but not necessary. The BitLocker doesnt work right without that update from the Extras. So it would even be pointless.

Plus with the BitLocker if you format, or forget your password all the info is GONE. No way to recover it at all. Not even thru 3rd party software. Yeah that makes a lot of sense.

Home Premium is just fine. Business is also a good way to go if you dont want the Media Center. Other than that Ultimate is not worth the extra $$. There is nothing in Ultimate that equals the extra $$ you have to spend. At all. There is not even gonna be more Extras till the end of summer if not later. So that still makes the Extras not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom