New GPU, Does the Mobo Support it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlapJack

Baseband Member
Heyyo,

My friend has an Elitegroup 741 GX-M mobo, supports AMD processors, in his computer. So my question is, how do you know if when you get a new GPU that it will be compatible with your mobo? This would also be good for me to know, just for me :p. Are certain card types supported, or how does it work?

The exact specs are:

741GX-M with Athlon XP 2800+w/o Fan Form Factor:Micro ATX Chipset: SIS 741GX&964 VGA/Audio: Yes/Yes Modem/LAN no/yes DIMM/DDR : 0/2 ISA/PCI/AGP/CNR : 0/3/1/1

Thanks

You have an old K7 generation CPU a couple years behind, so buying a new comp will be the best option.

If you want though, this board supports AGP 8X. Any videocard that is AGP 8X will work.

to answer your questions their are 2 main types of graphics card slots. pci-express (Peripheral Component Interconnect express)(which is 16x) and agp (Accelerated Graphics Port Interface)(which is 8x) with pci-e being the newer slot which the new/better gpu's will accept. so just look up the motherboard and find out which slot u have and that will tell u if they will fit or not. with cpu's its kinda the same u have a chipset on your motherboard, which has a certain socket. the new intels being socket 775, have a couple od different chipsets eg. 680i, p965 and p35

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom