computer hang on some installations?? mouse moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlkShdw88

In Runtime
very quick description of problem but to make things easier (hopefully i don't get arguments or questions regarding the validity of my assumptions) i can safely say that i do not have any spyware or viruses present throughout my computer hard drive, i am running windows xp sp2 with all recommended windows updates and some optional updates also (as of 29-06-07), and have never had any problems like this in the past.

Key changes to my system:
-Installed a new sata drive (250gb western digital sataII 16mb cache although my motherboard runs it at sata1 only (limitation))
-Fresh installation of windows xp and all recommended updates installed as well as most recent drivers for my motherboard (p4s800mx - i dont care about suggestions to upgrade because this board serves me well enuf)

in particular i am trying to install my canon ip4200 printer and the drivers have been updated since the last time i had to install my printer now having the option of automatically installing via the web or downloading a simple .exe to install offline... either way i go once i click yes i agree on the offline method or once the online method gets to 100% .. the window closes and shows my desktop and the computer is perceived to be frozen in the sense that i cannot click anything (at all!) but the mouse still moves freely... a reset of computer brings it back to life when back into the desktop...

i have brought up the task mananger and watched the cpu utilization when the computer 'hangs' and it stays 0-1% but obviously still fluctuates and is not frozen its just that i cannot click anything.

if i unplug the mouse and plug it back in it doesn't do anything at all except carry on allowing me to move the mouse but not respond to any click..

i have seen the same symptoms in this thread... Automatic updates 6.2007 freezing computer - microsoft.public.windowsupdate | Google Groups

but am running out of ideas as to where this problem came from..

it is hard to pinpoint the exact time this happened but i would say after all the windows updates where installed and operating.. and all of my programs where installed i then remembered i must install my printer but then it will not allow me to without this problem occuring..

if anybody has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated thankyou,
Stuart

umm sorry but that isn't going to solve anything...

i managed to install my printer manually by extracting the files and installing as an unknown device (using the extracted .inf file it setup as ip4200)...

but i still have the problem that i am trying to resolve.. my system hangs on some application launches and installations but in a sense that the computer still functions in the background but i cannot get the computer to respond to any clicks or keystrokes from the keyboard..

known applications that my system hangs on:
- age of mythology (i no its an old game but its worth putting down it may help resolve the issue)
- some online installation setups (e.g. canon web printer installer..)
- offline driver setups e.g. some various installshield ones
.. will edit if i find more

i have got to the necessary steps to disable automatic updates as aservice but it does not help the situation so i am stumped as to what is causing the problem .. with no spyware, virus etc. ???

suggestions apart from reloading would be appreciated..
regards,
Stuart

Do a memory test download Windowmemory diagnostic Microsoft Online Crash Analysis let the test go from a minimum of 2 hours & most of the time i let it go for 4 or 4 hours +

Also you said you had a sata hard drive did you download any sata drivers from the make of your motherboards website you will either need to install this by pressing F6 while installing windows & insert the a floppy with that driver on it or you might be able to install in aftar u have installed windows

But run the memory test first & post back

i did the memory test for about 3-4 hours with no errors and every pass said successful so im assuming this means my ram is at least passable for frequent use...

another clue to this puzzle that started happening is that the blue screen comes up saying 'page fault in non-paged area' 'win32k.sys' 0x0000050 etc. etc. but i dont think it is random it seems to happen when there is a bit of hard drive activity (after idling).. or for example yesterday i was downloading a torrent and it had been downloading for about 1 hour and no other programs were open and it went to blue screen perhaps because some automated program tried to run im not sure but that seemed random but i could hear a little hard drive activity before hand so ???

as for the sata drivers i couldnt find any for my motherboard and in the bios the sata is set on native mode which acts as an IDE device.. i have a dvd-rw on ide as well but seperate channels...

my motherboard is a p4s800mx-se and i cant find any sata drivers but device manager says everything is okay.

yeah right from the start i had tried to find sata drivers for my motherboard but couldnt find any so i assumed as it was in native mode it was acting like an IDE device... i can't believe i didn't look for the drivers from the chipset manufacturers website (SiS) as i just looked before, found and installed the sata drivers for my chipset SiS661FX and 964 southbridge...
however, this still has not fixed the problem although things go a bit further before hanging so perhaps i really do need to wipe and start fresh?? any suggestions otherwise?
btw thanks for your help so far viper880 i appreciate it

yes do a fresh install.. & with most of the sata drivers your meant to save the driver on a floppy & boot of the windows disk & down the bottom it will ask you to press F6 if u need to load any drivers do this & insert your floppy & follow the steps & continue on how u would normaly install windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom