Overclocking to the max

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnlyCurious

Daemon Poster
If you overclock a q6600, do you need aftermarket heat sinks and cooler fans?

I've never overclocked, how the heck do you do it? I really don't want to damage my computer. Do you just download a software and increase volt/speed??

doesn't seem like they talk much about the Core 2 Duos or Quads if at all.... seems outdated? I heard you could overclock a Core 2 without rise in heat... which means you won't need aftermarket cooling, right??

nvm...you WILL need an aftermarket hsf to get a decent overclock
you have to wait for the overclocks like ste, etc. to log on to tf to give you advice
give this thread time

nvm...you WILL need an aftermarket hsf to get a decent overclock
you have to wait for the overclocks like ste, etc. to log on to tech forums to give you advice
give this thread time

Common now, surely I am not the only one here that knows how to overclock properly or even give good advice...

The sad part is people on these forums don't learn. And that translates to new members not learning themselves.

Something as Simple as, asking about all thier parts, the BIOS Version, OS and whether it is updated or not. What programs they use to moniter temps, and if they don't have such programs you should give them some examples like speed fan or core temp.

And the most overlooked suggestion/statement I see in threads like these is members not linking an overclocking guide (The one on this forum isn't that great.)(This is especially true for those with C2D's)

Futhermore noone really answered his questions. All I saw as the first reply was " GET THIS HEATSINK!!! I answered none of your questions!" Then as a second post, " WE HAVE GUIDE, But I GIVE NO LINK!!! I answered NONE of your questions!!!!"

OK, Now the Proper response to original post to Follow.

"
1.If you overclock a q6600, do you need aftermarket heat sinks and cooler fans?

2.I've never overclocked, how the heck do you do it? 3.I really don't want to damage my computer.4. Do you just download a software and increase volt/speed??
"
1. While you do not need anything aftermarket to overclock, it is highly reccomended.
2. Overclocking a processor can be done through the motherboards CMOS Setup or by using in windows Software. By overclocking through the CMOS Setup you simply disable certain settings, change memory timmings, change cpu clock and adjust, CPU, RAM and motherboard Voltages. Most software overclocking simply ups the clock of the CPU.
3. Although Overclocking does shorten the life span of a component it will not damage or otherwise kill a component unless tempartures are not monitered and kept below acceptable levels.
4. Not as simple as that, but I suggest you follow the Guide linked Below First.
HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - A Guide v1.1
If at any time you encounter a problem or anything you can't figure out you CAN then ask about the specific problem. You must provide as much information as possible. Please don't post and say what do I do? The guide is well written it should answer most if not all of your questions.
The next reply I expect from you should be either an update of your OC progress or a request for help saying you can't get past variable speed and you already tried x,y and z as solutions but the problem remains..

Edit: I should mention that you should only utilize software to OC for suicide screen shots or benchmarking. Everyday OCs should be set through the CMOS Setup.

Yeah ste knows what he's doin. I think the most important thing though is to not get wimpy, like i did. my e6300 is sitting at 1.8 because i went too far and it wouldn't post one time, and i got freaked out, so don't do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom