CPU upgrade advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont bother going skt939. It is already out-dated by AM2, and AM2+ is even coming out in a few months. Look for an X1950PRO that has got only 256MB of RAM, 512MB is just unneeded.

Also, i dont think that AMD do an X2 that is 32 bit only do they?

It's been over 4 yeras since I've bought a computer, I'd like to make it another 4 :), so although 512MB is unneeded now I'd like to have it for the future. Unfortuneatly I can't find any benchmarks that have tested the ATI 1650PRO 512MB...

I've decided not to go with a SCSI drive, I'm going with:
Western Digital 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB (WD5000AAKS) at $110 CAD

for my HD. Anyone have a suggestion on how many Watts of power that would be necessary to run this system? Thanks.

@Vaanish:
"Also, i dont think that AMD do an X2 that is 32 bit only do they?"

You're going to need to explain that one to me.

Edit2: And the reason I'm not going with an AM2 is because all of the good AM2s are 64bit.

although 512MB is unneeded now I'd like to have it for the future.

Sorry i wasnt more clear.

The reson that 512 is unneeded is that the sort of resultions/detail that will actually utilise all of that memory are not acheivable by that card- because the GPU itself is simply too weak to process them.

Ahh, okay fair enough, are there any GPU capable for processing graphics that would require more than 256MB or memory?

I've also decided on using a 64bit processor. And if by that sentance I quoted you meant that you don't think there are AMD X2 32-bit processors, then you are correct, at least I've never seen one.

So for my new system specs, I've got:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ / 2.8 GHz - Socket AM2 - L2 2 MB ( 2 x 1 MB ) - Box at $200 CAD (flat)
ASUS M2N-MX AM2 nForce430 DDR2 2000MT s PCIEX16 Audio VGA GBLAN MATX at $75 CAD (flat)
EVGA GeForce 7900GS KO PCI-E 16X 256MB DDR3 500MHz Dual DVI HDTV-7 Retail at $185 CAD (flat)
OCZ DDR2 2GB (2x1024M) PC2-5400 Dual Channel Value Series 5-5-5-10 at $85 CAD (flat)
Western Digital 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB at $110 CAD (flat)
ASUS TM982 BLACK M.ATX TOWERNO PSU at $35 CAD (flat)
Enermax FMA II EG465P-VE 460W V2.2 2Fan 20/24P 2x6P RoHS ATX PS at $80 CAD (flat)

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Okay that seems good, but dont go with the KO version graphics card. Just get the normal version.

Ahh, okay fair enough, are there any GPU capable for processing graphics that would require more than 256MB or memory?

I think (though I am not sure) that the only ones that are X1950XT, X1950XTX, HD2900XT, all 8800 series and (maybe) 7950GT. I am not sure of this, though, it is only a rough list, i am not really an expert on GFX cards. Do not take my word on it.

If I don't get the KO version, I may aswell get the 1950XT 512MB, it's the same price.

Edit: Is there any chance the ATI x1650PRO's gpu can process graphics that would require more than 256mb or memory? Or is there a list somewhere that I could look at? Thanks.

1. I won't use Intel Processors.
2. I really have no interest in overclocking. I know people who have had a lot of trouble with overclocking, and I haven't overclocked my Barton and have had nothing but good graces from it. But thanks for the advice.
3. That RAM is a LOT more expensive, and it's not even OCZ
4. I am aware that the x1950xt is a lot faster than the 7900gs, it's also $55 more, and my main concern is the GPU's capability to utilize more than 256MB of memory. If it can, I will defineatly get it.

Dont bother going skt939. It is already out-dated by AM2, and AM2+ is even coming out in a few months. Look for an X1950PRO that has got only 256MB of RAM, 512MB is just unneeded.

Also, i dont think that AMD do an X2 that is 32 bit only do they?

yeah, they are called K7. as far as i know, they are the only ones that do..(but i dont know everything, lol)...that may even be REMOTELY availible. but they are seriously outdated. so...good luck finding one. they are outperformed by an intel celeron D, if that gives you any indication of their performance. you are going to have a hard time finding an upgrade here, my friend.
the athlon 64 (s939, am2) cpus are certainly designed to run 32 bit software as well as 64, i dont know what you are using that "just wont work"....but i would suggest updating your server software, as there is no upgrade for your system that will run solely 32 bit, without having some sort of transition path to 64 bit.
and not only the good am2...but all the am2 are 64 bit, man. so is every amd made in the last couple years.
this thread and "upgrade" questions and whatnot are to totally pointless if you cant run a 64 bit cpu...you have no upgrade. and any of those opty chips are loco expensive.
that s939 opty 180cd that you listed uses the same x86 instruction as an athlon 64. i dont know why that would work and an athlon 64wouldn't. but i would like to, if you would explain...?

Well, what resolution do you game at? I haven't have the slightest clue of what you're talking about when it comes to "utilizing" the 256mb, but it all depends on what game you play and the resolution, and there will be certain resolutions where 256mb is not enough and you'll need more, but I'm pretty sure both cards can "utilize" 256mb fully..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom