Quick Dual Channel Ram question

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewsvalesen

Daemon Poster
Ok right now i have 2 gigs of gskill (nq) ram. Would it still be dual channel if i put 3 gigs in? Like 1 gig stick on each side, with 1 512 ?
provided they're all the same brand, this should work, right?

and if i do this, how much of a performance gain will i recieve from this>?

No if you have 3 sticks in there thats not a multiple of 2 and it would not be dual channel anymore. Also in games you will see no performance gain from another gig of ram really.

hm ok. thanks!
but i thought to get dual channel, the slots just have to match each other..
oh well i guess im wrong
thanks again!

No if you have 3 sticks in there thats not a multiple of 2 and it would not be dual channel anymore. Also in games you will see no performance gain from another gig of ram really.

would have been my exact response.... but if u add another 512mb stick expect no performance increase.......

but that will cost too much. although the nq's do come pretty cheap theres no ponit in 4gb of ram unless cad etc. even in vista its not needed

realistically it's only ever going to be dual channel if the motherboard supports dual channel memory. normally with dual cahnnel MOBO's you have to install the RAM in exact pairs for the Dual channel to be active, otherwise it just runs in single mode.

... i already answered this??

edit oh this topic is old..... that explains it... necrotopic :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom