Core 2 Duo E6420 running slower?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadpixel

Daemon Poster
So I ran CPU-Z 1.4 And I go these results

Running Core 2 DUo E6420

Core clock speed: 1600.x(x=changing number)
Multiplier: x6.0
Buss speed: 266.7MHz
RAted FSB: 1066.7MHz

I thought E6420 runns at 2.13 GHz, or am I crazy?

Back to lesson ONE:
Hello class. Today we will learn about the CPU technologies that Intel has put into their processors. One important technology is the Intel Speedstep Technology. AMD has done the same with the Cool'n'Quiet technology. This reduces the CPU's multiplier when it is idle.
E.g.: C2D E6240
When idle: 6.0x X 266.7MHz = 1600MHz
When in use: 8.0x X 266.7MHz = 2133Mhz
Lesson Over.

Back to lesson ONE:
Hello class. Today we will learn about the CPU technologies that Intel has put into their processors. One important technology is the Intel Speedstep Technology. AMD has done the same with the Cool'n'Quiet technology. This reduces the CPU's multiplier when it is idle.
E.g.: C2D E6240
When idle: 6.0x X 266.7MHz = 1600MHz
When in use: 8.0x X 266.7MHz = 2133Mhz
Lesson Over.

What if I wanna run it at 8x or even 9x all the time, how do I accomplish that? And if I set it to x9, is that considered overclocking?

The multipliers are usually locked. The Speedstep is also locked to be on.
But don't worry, that is PERFECTLY normal.

The multipliers are usually locked. The Speedstep is also locked to be on.
But don't worry, that is PERFECTLY normal.

Even if this is a custom built copmuter?? Also, If I notice the multiplier is still6X, when playgin a game, do I then have a problem?

That cause the game's idling. Turn on CPU-z and open an startup intensive program like Microsoft Word or Photoshop.

That cause the game's idling. Turn on CPU-z and open an startup intensive program like Microsoft Word or Photoshop.

Ok, I'm running IE7, Photoshop CS2, and Word 2007, and the multiplier is still 6.

Also: When running CPu-Z 1.36, it says the multiplier is 8, when running CPU-Z 1.4, it says it is running at 6.

CPUz is not always acurate.

It says that my multiplier is always at 6 as well, and its just not true - with any other program i have used it comes up as 9, including the bios.

Bottom line - CPUz has bugs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom