9800 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hehe Water, wow I guess you have a new name. I would definately recommend a Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB card for the new games or the X800. It would be best to wait a bit to see if the new PCI-Express cards cause the older video cards to drop in price. If you do not want to wait then get the X800 and you won't need anything else for a while.

From what I have seen after playing FarCry and similar games, I doubt the Radeon 9800 Pro will be able to hold its own with games like Doom III. Of course they will be playable with 'water'ed down graphics, but that's no fun! I agree that you should wait for those PCI-Express cards to lower the price on the X800 and others, but eventually you will have to upgrade if you desire to play on reasonably high resolution and high graphics settings - the only way games should be played! ;)

I wouldnt trust the farcry engine when comparing cards to it.. the engine is very messy.. 4,000 dollar alien ware computers have trouble running it... but either way, my 9600xt came with a hl2 coupon (which i already ordered) so that there tells you that the 9600xt will be minimum-midrange card for hl2.. if you include a good cpu/memory in the mix you will run it fine with a 9600xt.. But dont take my word for it, I, nor anyone else knows the system requirments yet, so like the others have said.. wait it out..PLay some Joint Operations in the time being :)

Oh, and also.. I dont knoiw about the other games you mentioned, but HL2 will be most compatable with radeon cards so that is a VERY big plus.

I have a similar question.

If i'm building a new computer (AMD 64 3200+, 1 gig ram, asus k8v deluxe se) how long would the 9800 pro last me in terms of games, and is there a better alternative thats not too expensive that I could get? Or any recommendations on what to do?

Hinrichisgod, at least your card COULD most likely play hl2, my P.O.S. 9200 probably couldn't. it doesn't even play splinter cell right.

This seems like the right thread to ask this question--can someone give me a comparison on graphics power with the 9800pro, 9800xt, and the x800pro? And what are these PCI cards, and when are they comming out?

Infinite said:
I have a similar question.

If i'm building a new computer (AMD 64 3200+, 1 gig ram, asus k8v deluxe se) how long would the 9800 pro last me in terms of games, and is there a better alternative thats not too expensive that I could get? Or any recommendations on what to do?
you're going to build a PC?
I'm really good at finding parts to build 1337 PC's, ask me if you want a list of parts.

for the video card, I've seen a few places that are apparently selling X800's in PCI express form

and when PCI express first comes out, expect it to be not as great as you think at first; after all, just about every new thing out has some problems with slowness or errors, just like AGP, USB and all versions of Windows did... well not too sure whether Windows OS's are any better than when they first came out

I suggest get a card like this, forget PCI express for a while, and have fun playing HL2 and Doom 3 with your shiny new graphic card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom