Upgrade Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
SATA300 or SATA3.0 or SATAII, just a lot of ways of saying it.

Yea man it should. I have a computer with a MB that only supports SATAI (SATA150) and I bought a SATAII and set the jumper to work with my MB. It should work if it works for me.

I'm not sure what to do about your BIOS, maybe update it.

How much do you want to spend? You can get a 500GB for about $100.
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

About $40 for 2x the capacity. Not bad. This one should have the jumper setting also.

*EDIT* Yes it could be that your board has some problem with the SATA connector, only way is to test the drive on another machine, switch out the SATA cable also OR use/buy a brand new SATA hard drive and test it on your MB.

*EDIT 2* LOL, can't keep up with you. I just read that post. Sounds like it's the hard drive fault. How long have you had it?

Hard Drive, I've had it for 4 years now.

And, is there a certain way to know if my Motherboard supports SATA II? and what do you mean with the jumpers, with some jumper settings I can get it to work with my MB??? how does that happen?

Older boards like yours, it's SATAI, plus I also looked at the specs already. Not sure how to physically tell but I just look at the spec or the south bridge chipset or google it.

The jumper just set the SATAII to operate with MB that have SATAI connectors. When you buy the SATAII hard drive, the diagram for the jumper is on the hard drive and will tell you how to configure which interface to use. Either no jumper for SATAII or with a jumper to short two pins for SATAI.

4 years is not bad, I would always make good backup of your data daily. Can't really trust hard drives, they have a very low life expectancy. Plus after 2 or 3 years, it would be cheaper to just buy another faster, more capacity hard drive and move your data.

So you think it's the hard drive? and what's the point of SATA II if it'll just run the same as SATA I on old MBs? or am I wrong about that one.

It sounds a lot like the hard drive fault that's all I'm saying. You haven't tested it out yet to prove that wrong.

The 16mb cache I guess. You are right, it will only run at SATAI, that is your limitation with your motherboard.

Then I might as well go with SATA or IDE then, and I don't really have any other computers with SATA or an extra working SATA drive to test things out.

Recertified means that it has been returned before, and recertified to manufacturer's specs. That it is in working order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom