Case and PSU questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

carnageX

Private Joker,
Staff member
Ok, I have a couple of questions. I'm thinking about building a comp (already posted by specs a while back), but I was wondering about what your opinions on some things were:

Which of these cases would you rather choose?
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel, SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail (originally picked this one)
or
Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

I was looking at one of those two cases, but not too sure on which one to get. Anybody have any experience with either of them?

Now for my PSU question...
In my new build, I'm thinking about putting an e6600 C2D, 8800GTS 320MB, 2 optical drives, and 2 HDD's. I was wondering if a 500w PSU would be enough power to run those? I already have an Antec SmartPower 500w PSU, so if I don't need more power, I won't have to buy a new PSU.

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

I would choose the Antec 900, if you can afford it.

The Antec Smartpower should have enough amps, to power that system.

Well if I don't need to upgrade my PSU, then I'm definately going to get the Antec 900. But If I do need to upgrade..I'll probably have to settle for the Centurion 5, cuz I'm trying to stay around $1000 for the build. Was curious because somebody on another forum said that 500w wouldn't be enough to power the system, and he suggested I upgrade to a 600w+

Thanks a lot, b1gapl, I really appreciate it =).

edit: would the 500w be enough to power all the fans for the case if I went with the Antec 900, though?

You don't happen to have a link, do you vernong? lol That'd save me quite a bit then too xD.

Yeah, but I've heard some flaky comments about their SmartPower series xD. Oh well, I got the PSU for $70, with a $30 rebate (which I did recieve o_O). Big ups for Antec on that =).

Thanks for the help guys, this'll save me some more money now =D.

Here's my future-specs, in case this changes perspectives on the PSU-power issue:

Antec 900 Case (link in first post)
MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA775 nVidia nForce 650i
Intel e6600 C2D
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (with AS5)
G.Skill 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 800
EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
Main drive: SeaGate Barracuda 320GB SATA (already have), secondary/backup: Western Digital Cavier 160GB SATA
Optical drives (have both already): Lite-On DVD+-R/RW DL, Lite-On DVD/CD-RW combo drive.

Don't know if that changes your perspective on things or not I guess xD.

And thanks for the link, b1gapl, I appreciate it much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom