Hard drive fried... short circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sayaprayer

In Runtime
I had a 320GB Seagate baracuda in a Nexstar enclosure. I went to plug it in and i noticed the LED was flickering weird so I turned it off instantly. I noticed a burned smell and opened it up and sure enough. Smoke came out.

There was a small burn where the HDD power cable sits. I was hoping just the case was fried but it seems my hard drive is too. I tried sticking it in a comp to test it and the comp won't boot and smoke almost instantly comes from the molex connector.

I know I'm pretty much screwed, but is there any chance in **** to save my data? Kinda sucks my back up drive failed before my main drive.

I did a quick google search of "hard drive data recovery" and discovered a few places that guarantee they can get extract your data for you or you don't pay. That said, I guess it depends how much you value the data on that drive. I'm not sure what gets charged for data recovery but I'm sure it's not cheap.

As for your chances of extracting the data yourself...smoke is not a good thing and it sounds like you'd only be potentially damaging any remaining data even more if you continue to try with conventional methods. Just my vastly unprofessional opinion, though.

Good luck.

check on the harddrive's main board for any burn marks , check if any metal or any solder went on the pins where the molex connector connects

How important is it, because you can take it to a professional. They can work miracles but will cost you a lot. Also, I would be caution to use that same molex again.

Yeah there was a burn mark on the inside of the external case. I swapped out the external case already. I also looked into hard drive recovery services... but at a lofty $1600.00 , I think I'll pass.

I suppose every thing I have is some what replacable, but replacing it is the hard part. Just thought I'd give one last go before I swap the drive.

On the board itself one of the small black connectors near the molex connector is cracked and some slight burns around it.

Also.... if there's just a short on the board... essitially could I just replace the board?

Yeah there was a burn mark on the inside of the external case. I swapped out the external case already. I also looked into hard drive recovery services... but at a lofty $1600.00 , I think I'll pass.

I suppose every thing I have is some what replacable, but replacing it is the hard part. Just thought I'd give one last go before I swap the drive.

On the board itself one of the small black connectors near the molex connector is cracked and some slight burns around it.

Also.... if there's just a short on the board... essitially could I just replace the board?

can you take a picture maybe i can help you out here
i do a lot of soldering so maybe we can do something here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom