Overclocking Noob

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonoz

In Runtime
Hello,

I have an ASUS SK8N motherboard, and AMD FX-51 2.2 GHZ 64-bit processor.

1) Should I stick with Windows XP? or make use of the 64-bit by getting vista? or is there a 64-bit XP out there? this is to get the best performance from the processor.

2) How do I overclock my motherboard? is it specific ways for each motherboard/processor?

3) I have an ATI 9800xt 256mb, and I want to get the best out of it, is there anyone who has experience with this card?

Thanks a lot

Stick with 32-bit XP. Unless you're planning on getting 4GB of RAM, then you would get 64-bit. XP is available in 64-bit....but you should just stick with the 32-bit XP, because the 64-bit has lack of drivers and support.

You overclock you processor by, raising the FSB speed. You would overclock in the BIOS. Check your motherboard manual, on where to go, for tuning the FSB, voltages, etc.

You can overclock you 9800XT as well. With a program, called ATI Tool.

So all the Overclocking can be done via the bios? and it should mention it in the manual on how to do it?

and also, does overclocking increase the over all heat of the computer???

yes it increases the heat of the cpu you should run stress tests to check the stability of the cpu aswell. Have you purchased an aftermarket cpu cooler?? not strictly compulsary but they do greatly reduce temps

overclocking increases the temperature as long as you raise the voltage for that particular part

HII SALTYNAY!!!

So it'd be a great idea to possibly buy an aftermarket CPU fans? one of those giant mini jet engine fans?

Should I buy an aftermarket CPU Fan/Heatsink first before any sort of overclocking?

My computer runs between 37-45C in normal activity, a little higher when gaming.

Also, the thermal grease, is it the grease applied to or around the processor for the heat sink? Is that important in overclocking?

Thanks.

Well first monitor the temperatures. 40C is a good idle, and below 60C is safe for load. But when overclocking, it's always recommended to get aftermarket cooling.

When applying thermal paste or grease, you put a small rice grain sized dot, in the middle of the processor. Then you let the heatsink spread it out, while installing it. Yes...it is important for temperatures, and overclocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom