My Power supply bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewsvalesen

Daemon Poster
Ok I have this powersupply..

Newegg.com - Broadway Com Corp Okia-black-650 ATX 650W Power Supply 115/230 V cUL , UL , CSA - Retail

im starting to think its not very good.

When I plugged in all of my usbs, it loaded windows and right at the login screen (that it didn't show) it just sat there... and restarted.

I've been told that it could be my powersupply

here are my specs

Newegg.com - Broadway Com Corp Okia-black-650 ATX 650W Power Supply 115/230 V cUL , UL , CSA - Retail
7950gx2 @ 600mhz/1500mhz
X2 3600+ @ 3.0ghz
Tforce550 mobo
A bunch of fans and usbs

do I need a new powersupply?

It's giving me a few errors in event viewer, specifically these:

The driver nv4_disp for the display device \Device\Video1 got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.

DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
ATITool
BIOS
BS_I2cIo
Fips
kl1
klif
Processor
SCDEmu

if you think its my psu, what psu would you recommend that would be much better? (im hoping with modular cables.)
the most i can spend is 120$ ( i only have 139 in the bank ^.^)

oh and it works in safe mode.

I don't think it could be your PSU, sounds like a bad video driver if it works in safe mode. Do you have the latest nvidia driver? If you have the latest try downgrading it by using the one that came with the CD. See if that fixes your problem.

Also, did you plug in the 6pin PCIe power connector to your card?

ok i discovered a wierd fix.
if i go into safe mode and restart
it works.

note* this only messes up when I turn off my computer via power button or restart button.

do you think me suddenly powering off my computer could be causing these problems? because the thing that fixes is a proper shut off.
im going to analyze and see if i need to defrag.

Yea..the operating system and hard drive doesn't like it when it isn't power down gracefully, you are also putting stress on the other hardware also. You can end up with a corrupt system. Run the check disk utility to scan for bad sectors and have it repair them automatically.

If you havnt done so do this , download your self a copy of ccleaner from CCleaner.com & do a scan .
download your self a copy of registry mechanic PC Tools - Essential Tools for your PC i will send you registration serial by pm to make it full version .
& i also would recomend you to do memory test download Windows memory diagnostic Microsoft Online Crash Analysis Read instuctions on the page,, I would let it run for about 2 hours

Also run a scan with your basic ad-aware & superantispyware & download the free home edition SUPERAntiSpyware.com - AntiAdware, AntiSpyware, AntiMalware!

& if you havnt got anti virus download a copy of avg free edition & run a scan AVG Free Advisor: Free anti-virus, anti-spyware and anti-malware tools

Wow thanks a bunch for your replies guys. Ok I have reg mechanic and liek 3 different tools, including ccleaner. I ran them all and got a few errors.
My PSU is 650 W

I assumed it was my PSU because well ,its cheap, and I don't think it's very good, especially for my setup. In fact i think its just BARELY holding on, if anything.
Let me explain more:
The problem started when I played oblivion. Whenever I exit out of the game it locks up. So I tried using task manager the next time to exit out of the game, I did..and as soon as I pressed "terminate process" my computer restarted.

Ok well I tried just recently to boot upto bios restart into normal mode, it worked 1 time. Now it doesn't work. So that obviously doesn't fix the problem. I checked my analysis, and it said i dont need to defrag. I'm going to run chkdsk ( i had hdd errors before.) and I'm also going to run reg mechanic (+ 3 other tools. incl. spyware doctor.)

If I can answer any questions that would potentially lead to an answer, just let me know. I'll be here for a bit.

THANKS AGAIN!

ok i tried running chkdsk and it just shuts off after trying to repair files.
in step 2 of 3 it stayed at 0 percent forever.

What should I do?
I'm running in Raid 0 but my comp still works and functions ok..
would a format fix this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom