how does my amd compare against intels? also ram question

Status
Not open for further replies.

hazza

In Runtime
hi guys.

back when i brought my processor, amd was the way to go for gaming, and intel was not really to be considered. so i brought an AMD Athlon x2 4800, the cores at 2.4ghz standard. but nowadays it seems that intel is owning the gaming market. i havent been 'keeping up with the times', so i dont know whats what about these intel processors.

can anyone tell me what intel processor is the rough equivalent of my processor?

also, why is it that ddr ram is so much more expensive than ddr2? am i correct in saying that ddr2 is better??

thanks in advance,

hazza

I think E4400 or E6320 are equivalent to your processor

However, your processor is still good. If you want to upgrade then I recommend Q6600 (when the prices drop on July 22)

I take it thats an am2 chip??? atm there is a divide in cpu choice:

Intel for the last year have been the kings with there C2D line and have virtually wiped amd out from low to high end systems with the E2x00 line at the low end and the e6xx0 line at the higher end. Idirect comparison to your chip I would say is a e6320 at stock but the E6320 can over clock quite a bit further. Intel is a safe bet

AMD are fighting back with there upcoming K10 series which will begin hitting the market next month and the whole series will be complete by october time. It is about 20 new chips so they take time to filter through the reviews. The new desktop chips are going to use new motherboards with the AM2+ to differentiate them. The socket is exactly the same you can use AM2+ chips in AM2 boards and AM2 chips in AM2+ boards. The difference is that the new chips suppor new technology which allows for the faster speeds and better memory and power management. By using an AM2+ chip in a non AM2+ board it will run marginally better then a comparable current AM2 chip. AM2+ would be a gamle as it isn't currently released it could be upto the official claims that it is 40% faster then the Intel chips or it could e a flop.

Hopefully I haven't confused you too much lol. If I were you I would take the gamble higher reward in the end if the claims are true, you can also reuse your current cpu in your AM2+ board until you are ready to upgrade to a new AM2+ chip. Intel would be the safe bet but low reward in the end if AMD do win the market, You will also have to replace a new motherboard and cpu at the same time which might tighten your purse strings a bit.

DDR is no longer in the same scale of mass production as DDR2. DDR is a dying standard it is outdated by several years now and so production has been reduced. With the reduction in production the price per unit has increased as the prices can no longer be subsidised, per example ddr2 they make 10pence profit on every chip produced and they make 10,000 cards and sell them all, DDR they make 2,000 because that is all that they will be able to sell to make the same profits they need to place an extra 50p per unit produced. This transfers down to the consumer

thanks guys for the info, especially saltynay! im happy that i brought the mobo that i did, as it has both agp + pci-e, 939cpu socket, and a pci type card that is espacially for AM2+ chips.

so i can upgrade when i get money!!

another question about ram:

is it only my motherboard stopping me from using ddr2? i know that my board can only use ddr, with 184 pins (i think thats the amount of pins), so the processor can use ddr2 yeah??

if so, i will soon be getting a new mobo!

thanks in advance,

hazza

thanks guys for the info, especially saltynay! im happy that i brought the mobo that i did, as it has both agp + pci-e, 939cpu socket, and a pci type card that is espacially for AM2+ chips.

so i can upgrade when i get money!!

another question about ram:

is it only my motherboard stopping me from using ddr2? i know that my board can only use ddr, with 184 pins (i think thats the amount of pins), so the processor can use ddr2 yeah??

if so, i will soon be getting a new mobo!

thanks in advance,

hazza

Sorry if I lead you in the wrong direction you have a 939 socket cpu that cpu isn't compatible with AM2 or AM2+ boards it is a different standard. I doubt you have an AM2+ pci card as far as I know there are only 2 motherboards that currently support the new AMD cpu's and although they are cheap they are rare as AMD hasn't officially confirmed the dates of the later cpu's. You will have to upgrade the motherboard and cpu at the same time and If you are using ddr ram yo will have to buy new RAM aswell. AMD will still be slightly cheaper even if you do buy a complete set

^^invisible, he has an amd system^^
i dont think you will be able to use an am2 chip in an am2+ mobo, but you will be able to use an am2+ chip in an am2 mobo. i could be wrong.

Sorry if I lead you in the wrong direction you have a 939 socket cpu that cpu isn't compatible with AM2 or AM2+ boards it is a different standard. I doubt you have an AM2+ pci card as far as I know there are only 2 motherboards that currently support the new AMD cpu's and although they are cheap they are rare as AMD hasn't officially confirmed the dates of the later cpu's. You will have to upgrade the motherboard and cpu at the same time and If you are using ddr ram yo will have to buy new RAM aswell. AMD will still be slightly cheaper even if you do buy a complete set

hes right.... u need a mobo upgrade.... but newegg doesnt have the biostar tforce560 (only mobo that i know supports AM2+)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom