Why does DDR1 work but not DDR2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi everyone,

I put together a system about 3 months ago and it works excellent. I installed PQI's DDR1 3200 duals. Two sticks at 512 MB each so that is a total of 1 gig.

My mother board is the ECS P4M800PRO-M. I recently attempted to upgrade to DDR 2 with 2 gigs. But each time I attempted to use the new DDR2 ram, one of my programs will not work.

My video card seemed to freak out at times as well.

The reason I wanted to go from 1 gig to 2 gigs is because I installed a TV tuner card and I would like to record some programs.

Here are my questions:

1. Why do some of my programs not work when I am using the DDR2 sticks?

2. I seemed to experience a noticable difference in the increase of speed when I updated from DDR 1 with 1 Gig to DDR 2 with 2 gigs! Is there really that much of a difference and do I really need the 2 gigs to do TV tuner recording?

3. Even though I returned the Kingston DDR2 2 gigs to Fry's, and tried a new package of them, the same issues arose. Is is possible the slot on my mother board is the issue and how can I test the DDR2 slots?

4. Any other ideas or thoughts? [please do not say get a life by getting a real MOBO. I have been unemployed and I barely was able to build this system even after waiting 10 months and buying only ad items from FRY's.].

Ok, hope someone can help me!

My System

Intel 805D [$78]
ESC P4M800PRO-M v.2 [free with 805d]
ThermaTake CPU Fan TR-2-M21-RX [$19]
Microfly clear case $25]
Ultra ATX 600 watt power supply SLi ready [free]
PQI DDR RAM 512+512MB=1GB [$69]
PPA Firewire PCI Card [$15]
e-GeForce 6200 LE APG Video Card 128MB [$29]
Pioneer DVR-710 DVD/CD burner [$25]
Maxtor 120 GB ATA HD-8 MB CACHE [$19]
Maxtor 200 GB SATA HD-8 MB CACHE [$59]
WINTV-HVR 1600[$90] Ouch!
Windows XP PRO [free, a friend gave it to me]

ddr1 and ddr2 are different standards they are not compatible in any shape or form either your mobo is old and supports ddr or your motherboard is nw and supports ddr2

Hi everyone,

4. Any other ideas or thoughts? [please do not say get a life by getting a real MOBO. I have been unemployed and I barely was able to build this system even after waiting 10 months and buying only ad items from FRY's.].

Hey....,,, nothing wrong with a ECS MOBO!
:)

Salty,

The ECS MOBO I purchased at FRY's is capable of using either DDR1 or DDR2, but not both at the same time.

Thanks anyway,

I wish there was someone out there that could help me understand what to do!

Salty,

The ECS MOBO I purchased at FRY's is capable of using either DDR1 or DDR2, but not both at the same time.

Thanks anyway,

I wish there was someone out there that could help me understand what to do!

I see the board can take both types(ddr and ddr2) but only ddr2 533

what speed ddr2 did you try?

lol... salty, the board takes BOTH. it has two different types of slots.

although i doubt that the speed of the ram makes a difference, since the mobo would just clock down to 533, i would still try it. more than likely, one of your slots is bad. i once had an ecs mobo (rs400a) that supported both ddr1 and ddr2, and one of its ddr2 slots was bad as well...

Ok this has to stop.
Listen up, noobie ;). I have an ECS mobo. It has both the ddr and ddr2 standards.
The slots look like this:
[ddr][drr][ddr2][ddr2]
The memory controller only boots on ONE type of memory at a time, so you cant run ddr and ddr2 at the same time

i once had an ecs mobo (rs400a)
lucky me, i STILL have it :(

i have a similar mobo, but for SDRAM and DDR, ECS K7S5A mobo, pretty good for its $50 value at its time.

Same for me i could never get the faster ram to work, SDRAM would work awesome but when i put in DDR 266 ram (alone)it wouldn't work. I'm pretty sure the all ECS with this type of feature are faulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom