is an opteron worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh if you're not going to oc then no an opty would just **** you off. a 4800 x2 can outperform a 165 and a 170 out of the box. But the 165 and 170 can oc so easily they can smoke the 4800 x2 of the charts. although if u do find a x2 4800 for 100 i say go for it if not just get a 165 or 170 i think they both top stable at 2.8ghz and my 4800 x2 tops out stable at 2.8ghz i haven't gone off to the 3 ghz mark but i think maybe one of the optys can do it. Depends on other factors too like mobo and ram.

i have the toledo core and the lower end processors clock higher sometimes than the higher end hence why everyone used to buy the 3200 and get it up to 4000 speeds.

i have the toledo core and the lower end processors clock higher sometimes than the higher end hence why everyone used to buy the 3200 and get it up to 4000 speeds.

ya but then 400+ is essentially a 4800+ just one core but how much of a performence ncrease will i get if i buy a opteron 170 and oc to lts say 2.8

pretty high that you will notice it. Especially since its a dual core. I mean .8ghz is a marginal speed increase not to mention the fact that the opterons L1 catch is twice the size of the 4000k's. Its basically a better processor with two cores. Granted not many applications take full advantage of full cores to this day(depends on user though). Running a 114 dollar 170 at a higher speed than my x2 4800 which i got for 363. You tend to see the real performance to price ratio than if you went with something else.

man with that 8800 and an oced opty i dont think youll have trouble competing with c2d systems.

AMD FTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom