Need new mobo for XP 3000+

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
So my A7v333 died on me:

http://www.techist.com/forums/f77/partial-boot-up-killing-me-146250/#post1119349

and i can't afford a new comp at this point. Needing something to tide me over until Oct/Nov a new motherboard off ebay looks to be the solution.

Any suggestions on old reputable socket A boards that will support the athlon XP3000+ 333FSB?

I've seen a couple, like the ASUS A7N8X-X, Gigabyte GA-7VA, and SOYO KT400 Dragon Ultra P. But they all seem to go for over $100. Off the top off anyones head, anything else to keep an eye out for?

I'd like to stay in around $75 after shipping....thanks for any help.

Socket A motherboards aren't that expensive. All over newegg/tigerdirect for around $40.

I believe HD is ide: Maxtor D740X-6L 80GB HDD Review - PCSTATS.com

video: ATI all in wonder 9600XT

I'd use it for a wide variety of things:

30% Games: WC3, WOW and others

40% Multimedia: personal video editing, photo editing

20% office stuff: power point, word, excel, online schooling etc...

10% TV and music play back

MULTITASKING is key.

Will obviously need a new comp soon...have been putting it off. would like to revive this one as a backup comp in office or for kids/wife. Therefore would like a few more years out of it.

So it is a general concesus that something like the PC CHIPS M848A (V5.0) is a better bet than spending similar dollars on a used ASUS, abit or epox through ebay? to be honest i didn't even think they still make socket A boards, went straight to ebay. tnks

Yet another questino, thanks for all the help so far.

My cousin has offered me his comp for $300 cash...is this worth considering?

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.8ghz
Mobo: EPoX 4PDA2+ Socket 478 Motherboard 1GB DDR400 RAM
video: 9800XT 128MB AGP + Arctic Silencer
HD: WD 80GB

[edit]not familiar with the epox motherboard but it seems to have good reviews from what i could find [/edit]

Well, the cpu/mb/ram combo prolly isn't worth $300 but froogle tells me that is a pretty expensive graphics card. $300 seems like a fair price to me, but I'm not the kind of guy who knows much about "performance" PCs.

[edit]not familiar with the epox motherboard but it seems to have good reviews from what i could find [/edit]

For $300 you can buy a dual core cpu and mb and 1g of memory. just reuse your hd and optical drives. Brisbane 3600+ and mb under $130. Mem..under $50. the rest for a case and video card.
It can be done. Go to newegg.com

heck no!!!!! u can get a basic dual-core system for 300$

The new conroe-L celerons are pretty swell. Single core and able to overclock to 3.3ghz. The power of an Athlon 64 but 65% cheaper.

and for your cousins comp, lower it to like $100-$200 max :D

and your other question about this board against boards on ebay and stuff. This board is pretty much a piece of trash, with hardly any features. Its the budget mobo of its time and still only sold for people who want to repair their old pcs. You might find a high end Socket-A board that was worth $200 at its time and buy it for $40 but i would just get this board, nice and simple and new from newegg. Its not like you need the extra sata ports or extra ram slots anyway right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom