Status
Not open for further replies.

IGeMex

Baseband Member
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000 AM2 - £118.59

Abit AN9 32x Socket AM2 - £105.69
2x Corsair PC6400 2GB Kit - so 4GB. £69.33
Total: £362.93

It's been a while since I upgraded my pc as you can see, and the existing rig is in my sig, would these components happily add to my current machine, and two questions:
A) Using dual core etc, is there any noticable difference from using IDE and SATA HDD's atm.
B) Am I wise to wait for dx10.0/1 (whatever) and vista to be widely used, and nice games out and til I upgrade my x850xt, which I am happy with at the moment. Would it be worth the extra £100 for a x1950xt, when should I expect to buy a dx10 card and actually use it, because I know for sure I don't want vista yet.
C) Yes my power supply is 450w, but a strong 450w, that'll do until I upgrade graphics card won't it?

Any suggestions, maybe dropping 2gb ram and getting new graphics etc? Maybe a different mobo? Thanks alot.

I've heard the Foxconn is a good 590 chipset motherboard:
https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Com...Foxconn+C51XEM2AA-8EKRS2H+AM2?productId=23315

I was going to suggest the EVGA, but it's not available there...but I've heard the Foxconn is very similar to the EVGA.

edit: I found the EVGA 590 SLI, at ebuyer.com:
EVGA nForce 590 SLI Socket AM2 8 channel Audio ATX
I would suggest this one instead.

Using dual core, you won't really notice the difference between IDE and SATA...but I would suggest going with SATA, because the wires are small. So it reduces clutter, unlike those ribbon cables of the IDE. Also it's the current technology for hard drives.

Yes...drop the extra 2gb of RAM. It's not needed, unless you do CAD, video or graphics editing. 2GB is all you need for gaming and general use. I think I'll suggest the G. Skill NQs over the XMS2s:
G.Skill 2GB DDR2 NQ PC2-6400 (2x1GB) CAS5 Dual Channel Kit
or these Crucials, if you have the money:
Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 PC2-6400C4 800MHz Dual Channel Kit (BL2KIT12864AA804)

You are wise to wait, since theres really nothing out there, utilizing DX10 now. Maybe in a couple of months. The x1950xt is worth the extra, if you have the money...but you said you're happy, with your current x850xt. Maybe you can save that for an upcoming DX10 card.

Where are they available? I was checking those sites, but they're not there. I heard they were released already. Well the Biostar at least.

A site in the uk? I'm in the uk, link please? - and thanks alot for the feedback so far.

everything looks good. dunno if i would suggest the NQ over the xms2, tho. definitely not over the xms2C4. but i have no experience with the c5 xms2. the gskills are cheaper, and probably perform just as well.
excellent motherboard choice b1g :)

ok pick up a cheaper c2d dont be a fanboy man i kno u like amd so do i but you could really use it grab a cheap but descent mobo liek a 650i chipset and then just get 2 gb of ram then spend the diference between the proc and the ram on a video card

A64 x2 6000+ is a pretty power CPU, nothing fan boy about it. use the 570 chipset and 4 gigs of ram and thats pretty much enough for a couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom