Basic startup question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
well if you want to try and install an Operating Sytem on a drive that you have tested and is known to be bad ,good luck.
Boot into BIOS and change your boot order so that your CD-Rom drive is the 1st boot device.Use the Maxtor Utility to format your drive when it prompts you to reboot .Insert your windows 98 cd in and Reboot with CD-Rom Support.After your OS is installed you will need to boot back into your BIOS and change your boot order back to your Hard Drive .

Just one comment on the warranty... Maxtor and Western Digi no longer offer a 3-yr warranty as a standard. It is applied only to certain models (their high end). The 200 GB i bought last summer only has a 1-yr. warranty.

JJDChE said:
Well the drive reformatted fine, but now when I get to the A:\ prompt and type setup, I get a bad command or filename error. I'm assuming the CDRW drive isn't being recognized. How would I reinstall the drivers?

If the bios is not set to boot from the CD drive, you simply type D: at the DOS prompt to change drive letters where D: equals your CD drive. Then you can type "setup" w/out the quotes.

OK, an update...

I ran the fdisk utility, as heavywx suggested, I deleted existing partitions, created a new partition and formatted it. I ran the Maxtor HDD utility again and this time around instead of suggesting returning the HDD it said that there were some errors on the HDD and asked if I wanted to fix them, obviously I answered 'yes', and it was able to fix the errors. From there I was able to reinstall Win98 and everything seems to be working fine at the moment (key words...AT THE MOMENT;)).

Thanks to everyone for all the help!

(Shouldn't be long before I'm asking more questions:cool: )

Dont format! It sounds like a standard DOS loop. Do this. When in C:\ type in
C:\>ren autoexec.bat autoexec.123 <enter>
C:\>ren config.sys config.123 <enter>

reboot and should be fine.

you should already be in the root directory.

edit:

Oops, just realized I'm to late :)

apokalipse said:
if you need a new Hard Drive next time, I'd say get a Seagate or Western Digital

*good grief* Ya know this dead-horse debate/discussion about which hard drive brand is the best is getting old. There is no great different in any one of them. ALL hdds, i do mean ALL will fail at some point. Nowadays w/ the quality being as good as it is... that MTBF is high enough that most people will upgrade their PC or buy a new one before it gives out.

It's just a matter of how long they will work properly before developing enough errors to a point where it's unusable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom